What's with Fender using an ugly veneer on all MIM Standard 3TS guitars?

Anonymous Guy

• Members

I haven't really given a close look at Fender MIM 3-tone sunburst guitars as I've always been more of a solid color guy. Recently I've been bitten by the more "natural" look of guitars and have a newfound appreciation for figured grains and well-matched pieces on guitars.

Supposedly all MIM Fenders use alder, which isn't an ugly wood at all, and can look very nice under sunburst finishes. However, after looking at MIM Fender for a fairly moderately priced 3TS Strat, I've found that all of them have an ugly non-descript veneer with no figuring whatsoever. It kind of reminds me of those solid yellow tones in 70's Fender bursts. What's up with that?

• Members

I can only compare a couple sunburst Squiers I have. They are both alder, have little figuring, and I don't think they have a veneer. I say this because I can see where the body pieces join. So are you saying there is a veneer over the entire top, and you cannot see the joins?

• Members

I haven't really given a close look at Fender MIM 3-tone sunburst guitars as I've always been more of a solid color guy. Recently I've been bitten by the more "natural" look of guitars and have a newfound appreciation for figured grains and well-matched pieces on guitars.

Supposedly all MIM Fenders use alder, which isn't an ugly wood at all, and can look very nice under sunburst finishes. However, after looking at MIM Fender for a fairly moderately priced 3TS Strat, I've found that all of them have an ugly non-descript veneer with no figuring whatsoever. It kind of reminds me of those solid yellow tones in 70's Fender bursts. What's up with that?

You should look at the Squier Classic Vibe 60's model if you are wanting a 3TS. No veneer and most of the ones I have seen are two or three piece Alder bodies. I have a CV 50's model and it is two well matched pieces of Alder in a two tone sunburst that looks great.

Archived