Dimarzio: Tone Zone neck position, Air Norton bridge position?

mcmurray

• Members

Am I going to run any problems if I reconfigure my pickups this way? Volume mismatch etc? I'd like to change them around to see what it's like. Apparently Buckethead has them installed this way.

My axe is an Ibanez J-Custom, currently has Air Norton in the neck and Tone Zone in the bridge.

• Members

Am I going to run any problems if I reconfigure my pickups this way? Volume mismatch etc? I'd like to change them around to see what it's like. Apparently Buckethead has them installed this way.

My axe is an Ibanez J-Custom, currently has Air Norton in the neck and Tone Zone in the bridge.

Swapping those pickups' positions is probably going to make the neck position WAY louder than the bridge.

It's not going to destroy the universe & it won't do any damage, so I say try it.

• Members

The AN will probably sound great.

The TZ however, will be WAY loud, and WAY boomy/muddy.

That's exactly my guess. You'll lose a bit of beef in the bridge position and get a lot of mud in the neck position.

What exact change are you looking for? The Tone Zone is a pretty ballsy pickup. If I had your set up and was going for something other than pure chugga metal, I'd probably put the Norton in the bridge and get a PAF Pro or a PAF Joe for the neck.

• Members

I have a guitar with an Air Norton/neck and Tone Zone /bridge, which is generally how this combo is configured, as others have mentioned. I agree that the Tone Zone may not sound that good in the neck. I'm very open to experimenting and I tried putting a Gibson 490R neck pickup in the bridge of my Les Paul and it sounds great. I also have a Lace Sensor Blue which is usually found in the neck, in the bridge of my Strat and I like it a lot. However, I'm sceptical about putting a really hot pickup like a Tone Zone in the neck.

• Members

The Tone Zone is dark enough to do OK in the neck. It may have to be turned down a bit but it's full enough sounding to try it up front.

For some reason when I hear/read the name Air Norton I think of Michael Jordon breaking down the court hitting a spin and putting up a fly shot. If that feeling is any indication the Norton should be reaching for the sky in the bridge position.

Just try it.

My Firebird has the Tone Zone.b/PAF Pro.n combo and it's the best thing I've got.

Archived