I got some new pickups, now pickup combinations sound horrible.

Electric Monk

• Members

I got two new pickups, both Lindy Fralins, a Blues Special neck for my Strat and a stock Tele bridge with a hybrid stagger.

The pickups alone sound FANTASTIC, I couldn't be happier with them. They're both pretty much perfect, I can't really imagine wanting them to sound different from how they do now. Getting to play them through my friend's dad's 1971 Marshall Super Lead was a pretty orgasmic experience.

But I digress. The pickups alone are fine, but when I go to position 2 on my Strat (meaning the neck and middle pickups, I may have positions 1 and 5 backwards) and the combination of pickups on my Tele sound HORRIBLE. I can't describe it exactly very well, just a drastic volume drop (more than before) and a horrible, tinny, hollow, nasally tone. And no, not nasally in the good, knopflerey Strat way.

On my Tele I can see how this may be possible because the neck pickup isn't stock, it's a CS Texas Special. The middle pickup on my strat is the stock factory pickup. I wonder why the Fralin doesn't work with it, because the Duncan SSL-5 I have in the bridge sounds fine in position 4.

So, is there anything I can do, or do I just have to go ahead and replace the rest with Fralins? I'd be totally happy with that, tone-wise, but I can't afford it right now. And I really like my Tele's neck pickup anyway.

So... What gives?

• Members

Yeah, most of the time, if after a pickup swap, one of the combination positions sounds REALLLLLY thin, it's a phase issue. Go back in and switch the ground and the + wire. Even if it doesn't look like it should, if the 'right' way doesn't work, go with the wrong way.

• Members

Yeah, most of the time, if after a pickup swap, one of the combination positions sounds REALLLLLY thin, it's a phase issue. Go back in and switch the ground and the + wire. Even if it doesn't look like it should, if the 'right' way doesn't work, go with the wrong way.

yeah, about that... i cheated and cut the leads short, stripped the wires that were already there... This is only the second time I've ever soldered anything. I know that's foolish when dealing with Fralins but the only music store in town charges $50 per pickup.

so... am I right in thinking if I just switch the wires it'll work?

• Members

Sounds like a 90% chance of a phase issue. If 2 and 4 sound bad, swap the lead and ground of the middle pickup. If position 2 is the only bad one, just swap the wires on the bridge pickup.

By the way, when talkin' strats, position 1 is the bridge and position 5 is the neck. :)

• Members
Sounds like a 90% chance of a phase issue. If 2 and 4 sound bad, swap the lead and ground of the middle pickup. If position 2 is the only bad one, just swap the wires on the bridge pickup.

By the way, when talkin' strats, position 1 is the bridge and position 5 is the neck.
:)

I did have it backwards. Position 4 is the one with the problems. Position 2 is fine. But thanks, I'll give it a shot next time I re-string it.

Will this work with my Tele, too? just swapping the wires on my bridge pickup?

• Members

Some pickups don't work well with others. I always try to use the same manufacturer ie: Duncan, Fender.

Wow! 8 years later!

Welcome back fellow PCNW!

I dunno about the clams. last batch from the 3 crabs was not so good:mad:

• Members

out of phase...Ive got the stock Fralin with slight raised D and G and thats a great pickup. I have it matched with a Novak neck. BUT I had a phase issue trying to match a Don Mare PUPwith a stock Fender so I had Novak wind me a neck to match the Mare but then later sold the Mare and the Novak just happens to match the Fralin.

Archived