How do you record your guitar?

nuke_diver

• Members

Here's my latest method, and if you don't mind me saying so, it is f**king tasty.

Guitar into splitter. One lead from splitter into XT Live. XT Live into recording interface. So you're recording one tone with an amp sound you're playing with. Obviously, the sound you play with influences how you play.

Second lead from splitter direct into recording interface. So same performance "as is", and ready to be routed back out to amp, modeller, or plug in, or used "raw". You don't hear this as you play, so you can use sounds on this later that maybe you'd have found off putting. Or not - maybe you just want to do a Keith Richards 2 amps thing. Whatever, you have the raw signal, do what you like.

And finally, the pixie dust: microphone close to right hand, with massive gain on, to record the "acoustic" sound of the electric. Be disciplined in your mic positioning and strumming consistency. The tighter and cleaner this track is, the more useful in a mix it will be.

This gives you three tracks to blend and mess around with from one performance. So a huge sonic space to mess around with, but no timing or phase issues. Endless possibilities.

• Members

I used to use a Line 6 Toneport which worked great. but the USB input broke! :mad: so now i use a Jamlab through my cpu into a one year demo of GTR solo, it sounds ok on my Fling V but sounds like utter {censored} on my stratocaster. I have a PG57 and a krank rev. jr, but since my toneport is broken i cant {censored}ing use it! ill probably get a line 6 POD or another toneport.

Archived