anyone try these GFS locking tuners?

mike-o

• Members

I don't have that exact set, but I have the set w/the 2 holes in the post for locking. I've had them about a year (project strat) and they've held up great.

I've got a set of those too. I haven't had them long enough to comment on how well they're holding up, but I do have an opinion on their usefullness. While they are a breeze to string up, removing the strings is very difficult. On the unwound strings, they aren't thick enough to be able to push them back into the holes, and they usually break right at the edge of the hole. I then need to use a knife to get behind the remaining part that's wound between the two offset holes, then use pliers to get it out. Long story short, a string change is more time consuming than with a normal set of tuners... I'm just spending my time getting the old string off instead of putting the new string on.

Next time I buy tuners, I'll be trying a more conventional style locking set.

• Members

I've got a set of those too. I haven't had them long enough to comment on how well they're holding up, but I do have an opinion on their usefullness. While they are a breeze to string up, removing the strings is very difficult. On the unwound strings, they aren't thick enough to be able to push them back into the holes, and they usually break right at the edge of the hole. I then need to use a knife to get behind the remaining part that's wound between the two offset holes, then use pliers to get it out. Long story short, a string change is more time consuming than with a normal set of tuners... I'm just spending my time getting the old string off instead of putting the new string on.

Glad to get the heads up on that. The locking tuners that have the offset holes are hard as hell to re-install old strings, if you are the type that takes off strings to boil them and put them back on. Sperzels don't have this problem for me.

• Members

allparts carries tuners just like this, i get them for around 24 dollars, but the ones i get are made in japan, they are GREAT tuners, just as good as all of the competitors. these are probably the exact same design but made in korea or china.

• Members

I think they're more work to put on too. But maybe that's because changing strings on normal tuners is second nature to me.

I think the tuners themselves are high quality, but they don't hold tuning any better than normal tuners using a lock and tie method.

• Members

I have Gotoh locking tuners and they are easy to use and work well (although they are not 18:1 fine ratio).

Just run the string though the post-hole and crank the tuner's button until it grabs. But you do have to snip the string-end.

Getting the old string off does require a tool---a coin. A penny or dime will do. There's a slot in the tuner-post and after you loosen the old string to take it off, you use the coin to hold the slot in place while turning the button to release the locking mechanism.

Archived