No NGD....Epiphone SG has a problem...

Crisco

• Members

:mad:

I was searching this weekend for my new Epiphone Ltd. Ed. '66 SG in Heritage Cherry.

Well, I found two. Both were....OK.

The only issue was....the neck.

It seems on every G-400 that I tried

had the same issue. The wood at the neckjoint was at least a quarter inch or more from the strings. Bad relief needed on each G-400 I touched... bowed like the summer heat was having its way with the neck:eek::mad::cry:

Well, needless to say I didn't bite.

• Members

Isn't that just a normal "needs a setup" situation? Why did that keep you from buying?

EG

OK maybe you're right

but the real situation revolved around:

1)I want one new in the box.Untouched.

did not have it in stock

2)GC offers a free Epi SG Case with this guitar right now

did not have it in stock.

I later went to Sam Ash to look at G-400's and again. the necks were sitting identical in the same spot on every one.

Summertime blues.

I know my G-400 HAS TO BE SET UP every 4-6 months due to the seasonal change. It honestly will go from perfectly set up to....WTF?

I kid you not.

I really don't know right now.

I'm a bit puzzled and pissed off by the whole thing.

• Members

Isn't that just a normal "needs a setup" situation? Why did that keep you from buying?

EG

Well, you have to understand the philosophy.

You need to play 10+ of the CNC made guitars that are exactly alike until you find the "magic one" that has "mojo" and "kills every (insert name brand here)" ever made.

Usually the "holy grail" will be the one that has been setup. Wasting hours in a guitar store is worth it to avoid doing a 20 minute setup.

• Members

Epis can certainly be hit or miss out of the box. Especially floor models. Can you order a new one online? At least then you are locked in with case in the event you have to return it. The setup thing kinda sucks, but you are talking about GC here. Not exactly known for setting guitars up at the store.

EG

• Members

Better yet, call Sweetwater. They set everything up and inspect it before it's shipped.

I don't see the Ltd Ed. '66 there.

Sweetwater even takes it a step further by showing you pics of the exact guitar with choice of serial # (which matters to me especially).

Thanks.

EG>

I am 2 steps away from ordering it online.

The only downside is you get what they send....not what you choose.

Do I like surprises?

Not especially

except on my birthday.

Archived