Bone nut, opinions?

J.L.C.

• Members

I'm going to take my R8 in to get the nut slots worked on (binding on the high strings) and I'm wondering if I'm maybe better off to just have him replace the plastic jobby with a bone nut instead.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this??

• Members

Most plastic nuts do suck and should be replaced but not all synthetics are bad. If it's a sythetic bone like tusq, it should be just fine with a slot tweak. If it is that gummy sort of plastic that doesn't hold slots well, then have it replaced.

• Members

I've replace the cheap, soft plastic nuts on 3 of my electrics with bone nuts and I will be working on my acoustic next...I like the vintage looks and "tone" of bone...I'm sure others will tell you there is no "tone" to bone...but that's another story.

• Members

I think the historics come with Corian, but I can't really tell by looking at it.

The pinging while tuning is driving me nuts though!

My MIA strat does it too, so it's going in for some nut work along with the Gibbo. Anyone know what the American Standard (2007) strats have for nuts?

• Members

My MIA strat does it too, so it's going in for some nut work along with the Gibbo. Anyone know what the American Standard (2007) strats have for nuts?

I'm not sure. My 08 had a hard material that was sorta like tusq, but cut differently, so I'm still not sure what it was. Mine had binding issues too though, but a couple run throughs with the right size nut file and tuning has been rock solid since, and I use the trem regularly. If the material you have on yours is the same, it's decent enough, the slots just need a little attention.

• Members

I got mine here:

I've been curious about those. They are essentially feeler gauges with teeth cut in them. Is the metal strong enough to hold a good cutting edge?

• Members

I've been curious about those. They are essentially feeler gauges with teeth cut in them. Is the metal strong enough to hold a good cutting edge?

I've only worked on one electric with this brand new set so far, and it cut through the bone like a hot knife to butter :thu:...I had a couple guys tell me from another forum that they don't last that long (from hear say...I don't think they actually owned the files)...maybe 10 nuts max...I don't see myself buying 10 guitars anytime soon and replacing the nuts on all the them...so for the price, it's a good deal for me. The cuts are clean and perfect. How long does an expensive set of files (like from Stewmac) last anyway...all files/saws are gonna wear out eventually.

Archived