NGD - My first Les Paul (Bacchus content)

underivy

• Members

I won this on eBay Saturday, and it arrived earlier this afternoon. It's a Bacchus Duke Standard with black oil finish. It came with a nice HSC, warranty card, truss rod tool, etc. I was a little concerned about buying it used off eBay, but with the dollar so weak, importing a new one from Japan was out of the question. Turns out, I needn't have worried. This thing looks like it was only ever played by a little old lady on her way to church on Sundays.

2pc maple top, 1pc mahogany back, 1pc mahogany neck, (madagascar?) rosewood fingerboard, Tune-O-Matic bridge, HMC ALNICO III pickups, Gotoh tuners. Handmade in Japan.

I can't wait until I get to sit down and spend some time with it this evening!! The finish has me mesmerized. Love the look of it.

3746803619_dbe495e4a4_o.jpg3746803143_c5b867b5b4_o.jpg

3747593290_31bbfe9681_o.jpg3746803265_8b53885cca_o.jpg

3747593304_341ebb2e35_o.jpg3747593324_8381b0a8f0_o.jpg

3747593420_744dbc24dd_o.jpg3746803363_3dfc05e41d_o.jpg

3747593598_9a04feee4b_o.jpg3746803467_4db54e1517_o.jpg

• Members

you have to give us a full run-down as soon as you can. the good, the bad, the ugly. seriously, nice guitar. can't wait to hear more...

I can't wait until I get to really sit down with it, though to be honest, I'm not sure if I'll be able to offer up much insight. I'm still pretty much a newb, and I haven't spent any significant amount of time on a Gibson. If you are curious to hear how it sounds, I found a couple of videos of Duke Standards on YouTube.

• Members

You are a lucky man! Bacchus are the best value for money guitars out there today in my opinion. Hand made...(take the factory tour on youtube) oil finished, solid mahogany 1 piece back 2 piece maple topped beauties. Less than a grand for a guitar that is EASILY as good as anything that rolls off Gibson USA's lines. Probably closer to custom shop.

And yeah..used japanese guitars are great. I've bought six and they've all come to me with brand new strings, clean enough to eat your dinner off and in incredible shape. They nearly always OVER state the flaws. It's great.

Enjoy that one. You'll probably never sell it.

• Members

You are a lucky man! Bacchus are the best value for money guitars out there today in my opinion. Hand made...(take the factory tour on youtube) oil finished, solid mahogany 1 piece back 2 piece maple topped beauties. Less than a grand for a guitar that is EASILY as good as anything that rolls off Gibson USA's lines. Probably closer to custom shop.

And yeah..used japanese guitars are great. I've bought six and they've all come to me with brand new strings, clean enough to eat your dinner off and in incredible shape. They nearly always OVER state the flaws. It's great.

Enjoy that one. You'll probably never sell it.

Yeah, I saw those videos when someone else posted them here a little while back. They were pretty neato, I thought.

To be honest, I don't know if it's up to custom shop standards....That seems a little optimistic to me, but it is very, very good, that's for sure. I'll have to compare it side by side to a Standard or something sometime though, for my own edification. I think it'd hold its own surprisingly well.

Maybe I'm still all starry-eyed over it, but I can't think of anything that I don't like about it so far. The pickups sound great, the neck feels good, the fit and finish are superb. The worst thing I can think to say about it is that it is heavier than what I'm used to (Strat). Maybe if I were more accustomed to Gibsons I'd find it easier to be critical, but that's a handicap I don't have yet. :p And I'm not convinced that "different" is necessarily equal to "inferior". Maybe when I do buy a high-end Gibson, I'll be all like, "Man, this thing just feels weird compared to my Bacchus. I just can't get into it." :mad: Ok, maybe that's stretching it.

• Members

Well I did say closer. I think they are probably somewhere in between Factory and Custom Shop...just in terms of specs anyway. Really though what's the biggest difference? Honduran Mahogany on the Gibson CS vs African on the Bacchus. Other than that quality is going to be very similar.

• Members

I have two oil finished Bacchus guitars...one double bound tele type that has 1/4 inch magnets, like the Duncan Quarter Pounders...the other is a semi hollow twin `bucker type...both have ebony fretboards. I started buying my Bacchus guitars over 10 years ago, before they were known even in Japan it seems `cause I was able to get them real cheap, not any more. I walked past more than a few of their Les Paul types, some were from the deluxe series and were priced at 200,ooo yen at the time but I wasn`t really playing Les Pauls then so I never bought one...if only I knew then what I know now. I think I bought all the used ones in this city as well `cause I don`t see them anymore...up to 12 Bacchus guitars now...got one from the original SRV #1 series with the brass bridge block, got a Muddy Waters and a SRV Charley...passed on a Clapton at a closing out sale once...dumkoff. I really really like my Bacchus guitars but honestly if I came across a LP model it would have to be better than my Navigator for me to buy it but they are nice guitars no question.?

• Members

Well I did say closer. I think they are probably somewhere in between Factory and Custom Shop...just in terms of specs anyway. Really though what's the biggest difference? Honduran Mahogany on the Gibson CS vs African on the Bacchus. Other than that quality is going to be very similar.

Yeah, that is a fair point. I'm sure that the two woods have different tonal qualities and all that, but I'm not going to sweat the minor differences, that's for sure. I mean, hell....Brian May plays a guitar that was made out of a fireplace mantel, right?

• Members

right.

I doubt I could hear a difference, anyways...don`t worry...we`ll use up all the african mahogany too then it`ll be something else...`course we could all be fried by then but hey party on.

• Members

I have two oil finished Bacchus guitars...one double bound tele type that has 1/4 inch magnets, like the Duncan Quarter Pounders...the other is a semi hollow twin `bucker type...both have ebony fretboards. I started buying my Bacchus guitars over 10 years ago, before they were known even in Japan it seems `cause I was able to get them real cheap, not any more. I walked past more than a few of their Les Paul types, some were from the deluxe series and were priced at 200,ooo yen at the time but I wasn`t really playing Les Pauls then so I never bought one...if only I knew then what I know now. I think I bought all the used ones in this city as well `cause I don`t see them anymore...up to 12 Bacchus guitars now...got one from the original SRV #1 series with the brass bridge block, got a Muddy Waters and a SRV Charley...passed on a Clapton at a closing out sale once...dumkoff. I really really like my Bacchus guitars but honestly if I came across a LP model it would have to be better than my Navigator for me to buy it but they are nice guitars no question.?

Yeah, the Bacchus strats are looking very nice to me right now. I may get one later on when I'm ready to buy another guitar. I just have to pace myself.

• Members

mine are from the first run series and my `57 clone has the fattest neck of any strats I own, the rosewood neck clones don`t. But if you see one from the first run series better grab it when you can, though they show up regularly on line here prices are going up and they ain`t makin` em like that anymore.

Archived