Help me decide the fate of this guitar

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I have an 90s Epiphone Les Paul I am trying decide what to do with.

My wife and I are friends with another couple name Stephanie and Shane. Stephanie is pregnant and neither has a job. She got fired for getting pregnant out of wedlock and is having a hard time finding anyone to hire her. Shane has scoliosis of the spine, which limits his job options. Stephanie's mom, who lives in Florida, sent up some of Stephanie's dad's stuff. Stephanie's dad used to play guitar before he died of cancer. Stephanie decided to keep the acoustic and sell the Epiphone. After two failed attempts to sell it on Ebay I offered to buy it from them, making it clear I would just resell it. They took me up on that offer.

But now I kind of don't want to sell it. My wife really likes the way it looks, and I have to admit its got some mojo to it. If I do keep it, it'll need some upgrades. The stuff I'd get for it are:

1. Hardshell case

2. Better tuners

3. Bone nut

4. Locking bridge

5. Better pickups (thinking humbucker from hell in neck and bluesbucker in bridge)

6. Different pickup rings and knobs (don't like colors)

7. Different pots (if it needs them).

I'm posting some pics too. What do you guys think I shoud do, sell it or keep and upgrade it?

• Members

You wouldn't have to spend a lot right away,most of the upgrades you listed are cosmetic/personal preferences

The new nut would be the place to start.

And then see how it goes.

Tuners are probably fine,locking bridge is not necessary.

Only really need a hardshell case if you are gigging it.

• Members

Darkhorse,

I think The guitar would look better with black PUP rings, knobs, and pickguard. I think the wood is light colored enough that black would be a better choice. See my LP100. This usually comes with cream pickguard:

LP100_1.JPG

If there is buzzing from the strings I could see the need for a new nut.

These are the only two things that come to mind.

- w

• Members

oh...and how the hell do you get fired for being pregnant ?

They should take the dirt bag employer to court. Just trying to get out of paying maturnity benifits. Sounds like their using some type of religuse crutch.

• Members

It needs new tuners because the ones on their don't hold tune well. It will also need a pickup swap because (unless they are the stock PAFs in my 1967 ES-335 in my avatar :D ), I usually don't care for the sound of most traditional humbuckers. I like something that is between a single coil and a humbucker, and I'd use P-90s but my apartment produces a huge amount of 60 cycle hum.
I might not need to do anything with the nut, because it probably doesn't affect the sound as much as it does on acoustic. I want to change the bridge because it looks cheap compared to my Gibson (and not a little cheaper, a LOT cheaper). And the strings don't have much resonance or volume unplugged, less then most solidbodies I've tried, and my hunch is that it is the bridge.

• Members

oh...and how the hell do you get fired for being pregnant ?

Its because the manager is really religious, has more than a few screws loose, and that Stephanie got pregnant out of wedlock (even though she is married now). It wasn't the official reason she was let go, but the real reason. Unfortunately, its just her word against the managers. And it was a real {censored}ty job too.

• Members

It needs new tuners because the ones on their don't hold tune well. It will also need a pickup swap because (unless they are the stock PAFs in my 1967 ES-335 in my avatar
:D
), I usually don't care for the sound of most traditional humbuckers. I like something that is between a single coil and a humbucker, and I'd use P-90s but my apartment produces a huge amount of 60 cycle hum.

I might not need to do anything with the nut, because it probably doesn't affect the sound as much as it does on acoustic. I want to change the bridge because it looks cheap compared to my Gibson (and not a little cheaper, a LOT cheaper). And the strings don't have much resonance or volume unplugged, less then most solidbodies I've tried, and my hunch is that it is the bridge.

Your tuning problems more likely stem from the nut than the machine heads.

If you get a properly cut bone nut installed I bet you'll see a big difference.

• Members
Its because the manager is really religious, has more than a few screws loose, and that Stephanie got pregnant out of wedlock (even though she is married now). It wasn't the official reason she was let go, but the real reason. Unfortunately, its just her word against the managers. And it was a real {censored}ty job too.

If she can prove she was fired for getting pregnant, out of wedlock or not, she has a case, I would think. Unless she did something else that would/could lead to termination as well. If you like the guitar, keep it, mod it as you see fit. :thu:
I'm pretty certain that even if she was employed by a church, on a payroll, this still wouldn't be acceptable grounds for termination.

• Members
If she can prove she was fired for getting pregnant, out of wedlock or not, she has a case, I would think. Unless she did something else that would/could lead to termination as well. If you like the guitar, keep it, mod it as you see fit.
:thu:
I'm pretty certain that even if she was employed by a church, on a payroll, this still wouldn't be acceptable grounds for termination.

Nope, she can't prove it.

She'll be very good moneywise soon (they'll get full access to a trust fund her father set up for her soon), just they were having a case of bad luck and bad timing, and needed some help to get by.

• Members
Its because the manager is really religious, has more than a few screws loose
, and that Stephanie got pregnant out of wedlock (even though she is married now). It wasn't the official reason she was let go, but the real reason. Unfortunately, its just her word against the managers. And it was a real {censored}ty job too.

Sounds like he needs a good ass kicking.:thu:

• Members
Nope, she can't prove it.

She'll be very good moneywise soon (they'll get full access to a trust fund her father set up for her soon), just they were having a case of bad luck and bad timing, and needed some help to get by.

Well, sucks she can't prove it, but cool she has a fallback! :thu:

• Members
Darkhorse,

I think The guitar would look better with black PUP rings, knobs, and pickguard. I think the wood is light colored enough that black would be a better choice. See my LP100. This usually comes with cream pickguard:

LP100_1.JPG

If there is buzzing from the strings I could see the need for a new nut.

These are the only two things that come to mind.

- w

I think your right on the black.

Archived