i found something cool with graphtech saddles

Warmothrules

• Members

I bought graphtech saddles about two years ago. At first I liked them but soon got tired of the tone. It was too warm on the wound strings. Well the trick with graph tech saddles is only use them on unwound strings. Sounds so good it's unreal. Perfect for solos on the bridge pickup and chords have very even volume. Any guitar i get from now on i'm doing this to it.

• Members

i never understood the point of graphite anything on a guitar. the nuts are virtually useless and sound awful, saddles, i just dont get it. definitely a marketting ploy.

From what I understand, graphite is like Teflon and is supposed to reduce friction and provide a smoother surface for the string to rest on. I have GraphTech saddles on two guitars and I've never broken a string on either one since putting them on over five years ago. I only put them on my gigging guitars to (hopefully) give a bit more insurance against string breakage in the middle of a song.

• Members

I love GraphTech saddles and nuts... there seems to be a lot of Graphtech hate, but I love them. My guitars stay in tune and I don't break strings very often anymore either. All my Strats and Teles have Stringsaver saddles and pre-slotted nuts, and all my Gibbies have the Stringsaver saddles.

If you've got a Strat with a trem and can't keep it in tune, try a set of the Stringsaver saddles and a pre-slotted nut. ;)

• Members

i never understood the point of graphite anything on a guitar. the nuts are virtually useless and sound awful, saddles, i just dont get it. definitely a marketting ploy.

redid a friends 78 Strat with graphtech saddles, and he was very pleased. Guitar sounds a bit warmer, and doesn't break strings or go out of tune while playing at all.

• Members

I never broke strings on any of my guitars in 5 years of playing. All have stock saddles.

If I ever do start breaking strings, maybe then I'd get some of these saddles. For now neither protecting strings or slight change in tone is worth it for me.

• Members

i think i'll rely on my solid stainless steel saddles and hand cut bone nuts, ive never broken a string, {censored} ive had the same strings on my personal guitar for about 9 months (my finger tips produce little to no oil, medical mystery), so they never grease up, and they STILL stay in tune. i dont know, graphite is good for the average joe, but if you are really into your axes, a professionally cut bone nut will always win in my book.

• Members

What do you guys do to break strings all the time? I don't recall ever breaking a string while I was playing and this month makes 15 years (holy {censored}). I've never used anything other than stock nuts/saddles.

I should note (so I don't sound snotty) that I have broken a few strings on my acoustics while tuning, but it's usually a result of dramatically changing the tuning too often at a party or something. They always snap at at the bridge peg.

• Members

I never broke strings on any of my guitars in 5 years of playing. All have stock saddles.

If I ever do start breaking strings, maybe then I'd get some of these saddles. For now neither protecting strings or slight change in tone is worth it for me.

yep.

If your guitar is set up properly you shouldn't have a problem with it going out of tune. And if your breaking strings all the time, maybe you should think about getting heavier strings.

I haven't broken a string since i jumped up to 11 from 9's that was about 4 years ago. And i play my strings out like 175+ hours worth.

• Members

I've had major problems with my guitar made of ash and having fender style vintage tremolo.

It couldn't stay in tune and it was allways too bright.

Graphtech saddles were like Jesus to this guitar, saving it from the eternal doom.

• Members

i think i'll rely on my solid stainless steel saddles and hand cut bone nuts, ive never broken a string, {censored} ive had the same strings on my personal guitar for about 9 months (my finger tips produce little to no oil, medical mystery), so they never grease up, and they STILL stay in tune. i dont know, graphite is good for the average joe, but if you are really into your axes, a professionally cut bone nut will always win in my book.

so because many of us like graphite nuts and saddles, we are somehow average joes.

can you please, for the sake of everyone, remove your head from your ass for once. you always come across as a know it all, when in reality everything to do with guitars is personal preference, and if i prefer graphite saddles, which i do, then that doesn't make me or my guitars "average".

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Thinking or putting Graptech saddles on my 2007 Gibson Explorer as my low E string (using .10 - .46) keeps breaking at the saddle. Losing the bite in tone on this string concerns me though when using a softer saddle.

• Members

Thinking or putting Graptech saddles on my 2007 Gibson Explorer as my low E string (using .10 - .46) keeps breaking at the saddle. Losing the bite in tone on this string concerns me though when using a softer saddle.

You probably just need to deburr the saddle that's on there.

• Members

You probably just need to deburr the saddle that's on there.

go to the local cheapie hardware store and buy a pack of diamond files, preferably the little triangle one, and just rub that lightly in your saddle back and forth 2 or 3 times, that will get any burrs out, and you can wrap some 220 grit sand paper around it and further polish it if the diamond file left it gritty, problem solved.

Archived