Nut vs. Tuners?

Woody_in_MN

• Members

It's either the nut, or how you are wrapping the strings on the post. Could also be the saddles or string trees. Really any contact point can be an issue if the string binds.

It's definitely the nut if you hear a pinging noise while tuning or bending.

• Members

One symptom I've noticed is that on one string I turn the tuner quite a ways with no change in pitch - then all of a sudden the pitch will shift big time.

I have never changed a nut, but these seem to be pretty cheap. ($5 - $6?) I guess I will start there.

- w

• Members

One symptom I've noticed is that on one string I turn the tuner quite a ways with no change in pitch - then all of a sudden the pitch will shift big time.

I have never changed a nut, but these seem to be pretty cheap. ($5 - $6?) I guess I will start there.

- w

That's a sure sign that it's binding in the nut. It's tightening the string only between the tuner and the nut. Then the pressure gets to be too much and the string slips through the nut.

• Members

Thanks Guys. Yes. It may be worth trying to file the bad slots.

I also read an article on string winding. It seems the right way to do it is to kind of knot the string on to itself. I did not use this technique. It might be worth re-winding my stings too. Both cheap fixes :thu:

- W

• Members

Thanks Guys. Yes. It may be worth trying to file the bad slots.

I also read an article on string winding. It seems the right way to do it is to kind of knot the string on to itself. I did not use this technique. It might be worth re-winding my stings too. Both cheap fixes
:thu:

- W

"re-winding strings"? I'd splurge on a new un kinked up set.:facepalm:

Definitely sounds like the nut needs some careful filing to open up the slot slightly. Installing the new set correctly should fix you right up. :thu:

• Members

When you put on a set of strings , wind them up , tune them, you have kinked /bent the ends of the strings around the tuners, and probably cut the ends off.

If you want to install strings correctly by wrapping them around themselves, it will go lots better using a new set versus trying to reuse the existing one.

I've learned this by experience. ;)

• Members

The easiest way to tell, is that it's never the tuners' fault.

..which in my experience, isn't a true statement. It drives me nuts sometimes to see all the cheap ass tuners put on "starter guitars". supposedly aimed at "budding guitarists" who want to learn how to play.

Best way they can think of to encourage this skill is to sell them a guitar that can't even be made to stay in tune? I mean you remove them & they just fall part in your hands. wtf?

Brilliant marketing plan!!

oh & I want some of those bacon cookies dammit!!! :thu:

• Members

When you put on a set of strings , wind them up , tune them, you have kinked /bent the ends of the strings around the tuners, and probably cut the ends off.

If you want to install strings correctly by wrapping them around themselves, it will go lots better using a new set versus trying to reuse the existing one.

I've learned this by experience.
;)

Oh I see.

Thanks,

- w

Archived