Short scale guitars. Would you?

Durango_Kid

• Members

I'm doing a little research for buddy here..

If you could buy a descent 24'' scale guitar that was made fairly well and wasn't a kid's toy-would you buy one?

It seems a lot of people play Fender scales guitars when they are probably too big for them. Is there a percieved downside to shorter scale or is it just something you never considered?

• Members

...With the shorter scale, there is a bit less room for error in terms of tuning and intonation, but if you set them up right, they will play fine.

docjeffery:

Any tips on the tuning/intonation temperamental-ness?

Recently I've been playing a 24" scale electric, and I've been struggling to get good intonation while playing.

It seems that exact finger pressure is far more critical than with more traditional scale instruments.

I'm running a set of .010", and I wonder if running a heavier set might help.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

To the OP, I have small hands (but ladies, I have HUGE feet) and love the ease of finger reach on the short scale, and it's over-all size fits me well. Good luck in your quest.

• Members

If you could buy a descent 24'' scale guitar that was made fairly well and wasn't a kid's toy-would you buy one?

It seems a lot of people play Fender scales guitars when they are probably too big for them. Is there a percieved downside to shorter scale or is it just something you never considered?

In what way is 25.5" scale length too big for people? For most people, I would think that if that scale length gives you trouble, it more a matter of poor technique than small hands.

• Members

In what way is 25.5" scale length too big for people? For most people, I would think that if that scale length gives you trouble, it more a matter of poor technique than small hands.

i've rarely come across a student who couldn't play a 25.5" scale. those who can't are usually really little kids who are playing 3/4 size guitars. after age 10 or so, most kids can play a full sized guitar.

i have tiny girl hands, and do ok on both bass and baritone. so i really don't know what people are complaining about with regards to scale length. its called practice, people.

lastly, if your strings are too floppy on a 24" scale guitar, bump up a gauge. 13s work really well on them.

• Members

That's probably true. It's not that I find 25.5 too big, but I find shorter scale guitars more comfortable. A four fret-stretch is something I really have to work to accomplish, and a slightly shorter neck doesn't hurt.

I have seriously small hands. My wife has bigger hands. I had a music teacher in junior high tell me I shouldn't try to play the guitar.

That said, the nut width and neck shape matters as much as scale length.

• Members

So size doesn't matter and much as good technique?

Hmm, an interesting concept---perhaps I can ably this to other areas of my life...

• Members

I have one 24" scale guitar and I love it. My others are all 25.5" and while I can certainly tell a difference if I switch from one to the other, once I've been playing for a minute or so everything just falls into place and the scale doesn't really matter. The spacing just seems to "work itself out" in my hands. :idk:

I had a 60s Fender Musicmaster with the 22.5" scale and that was as different story. Then again, it had a really narrow nut as well, which made things even more difficult.

Here's my 24" scale guitar. :D

IMG_1525.jpg

• Members

:idk:

I love short scale guitars. I have normal hands, and normal technique, but still love 24" scale Fenders. I have a Jaguar and Jagmaster, I absolutely love the necks on them.

That being said, I don't like light gauge strings on them. I won't use anything lower than .011's.

• Members

I bought it back in the late 70's early 80's for $200... and still have it.

69mustangcompdf2.jpg
My 1969 Mustang Competition (24" scale). It plays and sounds as good as it looks.
I pick it up tonight from the shop. It got some well deserved luthier lovin'.

• Members

Is there a percieved downside to shorter scale or is it just something you never considered?

The biggest downside is that they are a bit of a pain to tune. My bassist uses a short-scale bass, and getting it tuned up takes a lot longer than just a regular bass.

• Members

Toy guitars are 22.5 and shorter in general, clearly you haven't ever played a 24" if you had then this thread wouldn't exist.

Would I? Yes, I have a 74 mustang that I consider to be the 2nd best guitar I have ever owned next to a gibson challenger i had back in the day and sold (24.75")

25.5 is cool, I love some jazzmasters and tele's but really scale doesn't matter until you get below 24" unless you have fatman fingers. If you have fatty fingers stick to playing the blues with your tavern buds.

• Members

Toy guitars are 22.5 and shorter in general, clearly you haven't ever played a 24" if you had then this thread wouldn't exist.

Would I? Yes, I have a 74 mustang that I consider to be the 2nd best guitar I have ever owned next to a gibson challenger i had back in the day and sold (24.75")

25.5 is cool, I love some jazzmasters and tele's but really scale doesn't matter until you get below 24" unless you have fatman fingers. If you have fatty fingers stick to playing the blues with your tavern buds.

Came for the condescension, left a wee bit over-stuffed.

Archived