Tips for soldering pickups

Beasleyboy

• Members

Hey guys, the new pickups for my DK2M just arrived and I've desoldered all the current electronics. I've been practicing my soldering a bit but I was wondering if any of you could throw me some pointers so I could do a good job wiring these up and maybe make it a little less tedious?

• Members

I usually bend the wire so i can lay something on further up to hold it in place.

I keep meaning to get a Third Hand Tool, which would be invaluable (and are relatively cheap)....

571173.jpg&lr=t&bw=250&w=250&bh=250&h=25

I use the prop method as well. Usually a pair of pliers or something, whatever is handy at the moment, to lay on the wires and keep them from moving.

I've gotten pretty good at holding the wires and solder in one hand, and the iron in the other. You just have to be careful that you don't move the wires when the joint is cooling as you pull away the solder wire.

• Members

I take this approach:

1. Add a drop of solder to the back of the pot (or terminal) where you will solder the wire to.

2. Tin (apply a small amount of solder) the wire that you want to connect to the pot or terminal.

3. Place the tinned wire on top of the drop of solder that you previously added to the pot or terminal.

4. Tin and clean off the iron tip.

5. Hold the wire in one hand on top of the drop of solder you added previously while applying the hot iron on top of the wire you are trying to solder.

6. This will melt the solder on the pot or terminal and the tinned wire together

7. Remove the iron from the connection once the solder has flowed over the connection, let cool, and you are done.

A few more random tips:

1. Scuff the back of the pot with 400 grit paper to remove the gloss and any dirt, oil, or film before trying to solder to the pot

2. I like to ground wires to the back of the pot in their own separate locations; ie. pickup grounds in one spot, trem claw ground in another, ground loops between pots in another spot, jack ground in another. It's much easier for me than trying to solder 5 different wires together in one spot on the back of a pot.

3. Less is more when it comes to solder. You don't need a huge glob- just enough to secure the wire to the pot or terminal.

Hope this all makes sense.

Lou

• Members

I use the prop method as well. Usually a pair of pliers or something, whatever is handy at the moment, to lay on the wires and keep them from moving.

I've gotten pretty good at holding the wires and solder in one hand, and the iron in the other. You just have to be careful that you don't move the wires when the joint is cooling as you pull away the solder wire.

That's why I use 63/37 solder these days. It solidifies at the same temp it melts (60/40 requires an 11

Archived