How to fret when checking intonation

Druxar

• Members

I'm trying to adjust the saddles and check for tuning between 12th fret and 12th fret harmonic but I'm noticing that depending where I fret the string within that fret space, I get a slightly different pitch so I'm not sure when I've got the saddle properly adjusted.

So what is the proper location for fretting to get the in-tune pitch when comparing to the harmonic? Center of fret space, directly behind the fret (toward bridge within fret space), far away from the fret, or even right on top of the fret?

I think if I fretted directly on top of the fret instead of behind the fret itself, it was the most in-tune with the harmonic pitch but I don't know if that is because it's basically the same thing anyway and meaningless observation...

• Members

It is easier to apply enough pressure to bend a string slightly sharp in the centre of the fret than it is at one edge.

I'd suggest you fret in the centre and either apply deliberately very light pressure, or just apply your normal fretting pressure (important if you're heavy-handed, like me). If you're not sure then just apply very light pressure and see how chords around the 12th fret sound. If they're not good then you may have to re-do intonation with heavier pressure.

Archived