OT: 2 years! I am grateful and proud

benzem

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Congratulations, that's quite an acomplishment........i celebrated 8 years in july, drug free, alcohol free, tobacco free, now if i could just do something about my G.A.S.
:thu:

Thanks!

And back atcha for your 8:thu:

Ah, a little gas never hurt nobody:)

• Members

30 bucks a night for a bottle of rum gets expensive. I've saved enough for 4 months of abstencance to buy another Tech 21 PowerEngine, and soon, either a road worn tele or a 52RI Tele

That seriously adds up. I was conservative in my estimate and still paid for 3 sweet guits and a great amp. And I didn't even factor in all the other added costs that go with it.

Ooh, a new tele. I vote, uninvited, 52RI:)

• Members

Concrats. You have so much to live for
I don't know how many times I lost all of my gear because of substance abuse over the years. I am pretty serene now and have some great tools for music. I have my sanity as well. I can only imagine what I could afford gear wise if I kicked the cigs though

• Members
I'm struggling with it right now (cigs). Any advice for a hardcore cigarette and coffee addict?

Well, I wouldn't worry about coffee as it isn't too much of a problem. Although it is addictive, it doesn't have too many negative effects, except for maybe some PVC's or PAC's on your EKG, but you are probably going to end up with that anyway. We all die sometime.

Never quit drinking cold turkey, without medical help. You could die and I have seen it.

Cigs. It is hard to quit because there is more to it than nicotine. There is the whole doing something with your hands, something to hold, and the people next to you drinking are smoking also. Plus, it is an excuse to take a break at work. When you look at it, there are more reasons to smoke than quit. Of course, quality of life and life are reason to stop alone.

Statistically, cold turkey has the best rate of quiting, meaning, never starting again. They have hypnotism, nicotine gum, patches, and other stuff, but there is a lot of recidicism with those other techniques.

Some people cut back as they can, meaning, they will hold out till they REALLY need one, then smoke, or, they will set a goal of 1pac/day, then 15cigs/day, then 10/day, then 5/day 3-2-1. This technique works to some degree, but eventually you will have to do without.

If you really want to quit, but can't, there is a drug that a primary care provider (PCP) can Rx for you, Welbuterin (Bupropion HCl). This is not the best route because of the side effects, but is often used for desperate people.

Really, I watch people die in agony nearly everyday, most of it related to poor diet, alcohol, and cigarette smoking. If I could, I would destroy the cigarette industry, but we all have free will and have to make our own choices. I even know respiratory therapists that smoke.:confused::facepalm:

If I was going to say what is best anecdotally, it would be cutting back till you can't live without one, decreasing intake till you get to less than 5 day, then quiting cold turkey. Next would be seeing your PCP and getting nic patches. If that doesn't work, your PCP will know the next step.

Archived