Ibanez FR1620 or Fender Telecaster HH

dimibetan

• Members

Do you need a skinny neck and 24 frets? If not go for the Fender

Both necks are ok to me.

I'm really torn between two guitars... Might want to hear your comments first, before deciding which guitar should I buy.

• Members

no they aren't.

the Ibanez is ugly, but plays well. the Fender looks great if you're Liberace, and feels and plays like a $200 guitar. the Fender neck joint is atrocious.

so really, its ok guitar and horrible pile of crap.

All is relative.

Hey, people like Les Pauls and Telecasters.

• Members

I've owned the Fender Tele HH and the quality on it is superb.... One of the best I've seen from Korea and looks and plays better than the price would assume... The neck is really skinny...more so than any traditional tele... but it's nice and light and plays more like an SG than a Tele. Very comfortable to play. If you get them used, they can be a real bargain. THe black cherryburst is awesome looking.... and the only reason i sold it was because I just didn' like the skinny neck and the jumbo frets.... otherwise, it's well worth the money.

• Members

Do you need a skinny neck and 24 frets? If not go for the Fender

I believe that ibanez has a pretty wide neck actually.. I read a review of it in some magazine.. Try them both if possible, then decide.. Based on my experience I'd go with the Fender because I prefer their sound..

• Members

I have no experience with the Ibanez, but I have an HH Tele and it's an awesome guitar. It came stock with dual DiMarzio's: Air Norton/neck and Tone Zone/bridge, both with coil splits. I've got a number of other guitars including Strat, Les Paul, Tele Thinline, and others, and I have to say that this is the most versatile guitar I've ever owned. Unlike some other humbuckers with coil split, this actually sounds great in single coil mode, as well as in humbucker. It covers all the bases and if I could only keep one of my guitars, this would probably be it.

goldtopTele.jpg

• Members

goldtopTele.jpg

:love:

That guitar brings the om-nom-noms.

I bought a metallic blue Squier HH Tele from dcindc a few months back, and was just playing it a few min ago. My understanding is that the first HH Teles were Korean made Squiers - basically Korea's proving ground before getting the "Fender" logo on the headstock. I'm guessing that the Fender logo'd HHs are from the same factory, but with better pickups and more fancy tops.

The Squier is a fine guitar for $200. I'm not huge on particulars, but it looks, feels and sounds nice to me. Build quality is typical of Korean Fenders - on par with good MIM Fenders.

Personally, I'd go with the Fender. Look for a used Squier one if you want to experiment first.

• Members

Even if quality and playability were identical, I don't like the position of the volume knob on the Ibanez and I prefer the toggle switch on the Fender to the blade on the ibanez. The toggles seem to break down less often for me.

• Members

GOLD TOP
:love: GASSSSSS!!!

Unfortunately, I think they're not making that anymore...
:cry:

Unfortunately, you are right - they aren't making that model anymore. It was a limited edition available through Musician's Friend a couple years ago. It's quite unusual in that it is solid mahogany with a set neck, carved top, contoured back, and bound body and neck. I don't know why Fender doesn't make more guitars in this color - Aztec Gold - it looks awesome on any guitar. All they offer now is Shoreline Gold, which is closer to beige.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

the Fender looks great if you're Liberace, and feels and plays like a $200 guitar. the Fender neck joint is atrocious.

WAY wrong on this. The Fender feels like a custom shop guitar you were able to score for an obscenely low price. With the coil tap it can cover a wide range of sounds, and the stock Fender pickups rock just as hard in their own way as the Seymours. I've seen guys admitting they put the Fender pickups back in after a pickup swap because they couldn't do better, and that doesn't seem to happen often on this forum. And I do believe there's an Eagles DVD with Joe Walsh playing one of these, so you've got to figure it can't be too bad.

Archived