Craig, I wanna hear your Janis story!

• Members

:thu:

Thank you. I will buy your book. Actually, I've bought a few of the Amsco books already: "Home Recording For Musicians," "MIDI For Musicians," and "Guitar Gear" - not to mention the countless articles. But THIS one would be really special because it's a first-person narrative of one who's seemingly done it all.

• Members

Craig:

Great tales of Rock!

Tell us more!

Speaking of "Mandrake," "Mandrake the Magician" was one of my favorite comics in the Sunday paper for years. One week they stopped publishing the mad magician. I never saw it in print again. I loved that continuing saga.

Was your band's name derived from the Magician, or maybe the Mandrake root?

People want to know.

Speaking of old bands...I loved Poco in the old days. Great show here in NJ coming up this summer of Poco, featuring Richie Furay, opening for Loggins and Messina at the Garden State Art Center.

• Members

The other one I'll remember was when recording Puzzle with producer Ron Frangipane. After one particular overdub where I was running a Rickenbacker 10-string (not a typo) through a Leslie and home-made compressor, and did a tapping/noise/feedback kind of solo, he looked at me and said "Craig, you're either the worst guitarist I've ever heard, or the best."

• Members

Craig's book will probably be better, but for some interesting tales of band life in the sixties and seventies, Al Kooper's book is a good read. Also Eric Burdon's.

Both writers were willing to let themselves look bad on occassion to tell the whole story.

• Members

:thu: on Al's book. Haven't read Eric Burdon's, but sounds like it's worth checking out.

Realistically, I probably never will write a book about this stuff...the book I really want to write is about time management. I also have a fiction book that's half completed...but you never know.

• Members

It was kind of sad that during the Doors' set, people started walking out - a lot of them had come primarily to see us, and considered the Doors as icing on the cake. When the Doors didn't deliver, they left.

The Doors could be great live, and they could be horrible live. I don't speak from your perspective... I wasn't around until '69, and for awhile after that I was doing things like learning to speak and poop in a toilet. But I've heard enough live stuff -- authorized and bootlegs -- to know how badly Morrison could screw up a show if he was in a certain mode.

They say that some of the most incendiary shows of 1967 were the Doors and Buffalo Springfield at the Whiskey. They'd alternate headliner spots. Can most people even imagine going out on a Saturday night to a little place like the Whiskey and seeing both Jim & Gang, and then Steve Stills, Neil Young, and Richie Furay tearing it up? Wow...

Can't remember if Doug Lubahn was playing bass for that concert or not (I think he was - a great bass player for sure, whether with the Doors or Clear Light)

To tie this all together, wasn't Dallas Taylor (later the drummer for CSN/Y) playing skins for Clear Light? I believe he was. Small world, of course.

• Members

To tie this all together, wasn't Dallas Taylor (later the drummer for CSN/Y) playing skins for Clear Light? I believe he was. Small world, of course.

Indeed he was, and I realize I keep saying these were all nice guys, but y'know, they were. With Clear Light, his drumming was extremely powerful - very authoritative.

Archived