New insights on big band comping. found a great book...

Jkater

• Members

... thanks to Pascal who pointed it out to me in another "Big band" thread.

Thanks to this thread, I am now working on this:

51XDBPQ6KRL._SS500_.jpg

Next stop, one-note chords.
;)

I just got that book. It's fantastic! There are invaluable insights about the role of the guitar in a big band and I realised a few things clearly for the first time in spite of playing in a big band for almost two years now... One very important one is that the full chords and especially the extensions above the seventh written on the guitar chart reflect the arrangement of the band but are not expected to be played by the guitar in a four-to-the-bar comping role which emphasise the rythmic role of the guitar in the band. Those extensions are played by the horns, piano, etc. I always tried to play the complete chord with all the extensions and it is stated in that book that in some case, it is even wrong for the guitar to do this! This gives me a different direction for my playing in that band. It doesn't make it simpler, though. The "fewer notes" chords have a very definite form and sound to them and I must learn different forms of every chord each with a different note of the chord (namely the root, third, fifth, seventh and sometimes the extension or flatted fifth, etc) falling on the sixth string. Those are completely new shapes that I must learn.

Interesting to point out that none of the members in the band ever mentionned any of this to me in rehearsals (and probably wouldn't know about it either) and, indeed, the way such a big band works in rehearsals doesn't allow time to analyse my guitar playing. I was always careful of doing less rather than too much and the wrong thing. They've been happy with my playing (as far as I can tell!) but now, I'm going to bring it up to the next level of appropriate comping style. A lot of work ahead folks! :eek:

• Members

Almost all chords can be reduced to a basic 7th chord. It makes a guitarist's life much easier, and it also focuses the role -- which is moreso rhythm than anything else.

Leave the upper extensions alone. Pay close attention to altered 5ths and altered 9ths. Otherwise, the basic shell chords will serve you well in most settings. You could actually adhere to this playing principal in any setting, including combos, where there are horns and pianos.

Archived