Talk to me about Danelectro Guitars

Woody_in_MN

• Members

I saw a picture of a 59 DC Pro, and went ga ga. Then I listened to some clips of the 59 DC on youtube. I was kind of turned off by the twanginess of it. It seems like they don't take well to high gain, which is a real downside for me. I'm not sure I want to seek one out, only to swap PUP's.

Is this uber twangi-ness just part of the Danelctro sound? Would a U2 for example be as twangy?

Thanks in advance,

- w

• Members

^^^

I saw Jimmy Page had a 59 DC. I think that is why a lot of people wanted one. I think the look of the 59 is so awesome. So clean. The white pickguard against the slate black body is so classy.

I just got a Duo Sonic the other day. I thought that was twangy. The Duo Sonic is like humbuckers compared to the DC 59 clips I've heard.

- w

• Members

Is this uber twangi-ness just part of the Danelctro sound?

Yes. It can be fattened up somewhat with amp settings and effects, but Dans are decidedly not high-gain guitars. Remember, they came into prominence in the 50s as $69.00 garage-band instruments for teenagers, and their lipstick singlecoils capture those kinds of tones best.

I love 'em, but they aren't for every style. Great for raunchy slide work, though!

• Members

I saw a picture of a 59 DC Pro, and went ga ga. Then I listened to some clips of the 59 DC on youtube. I was kind of turned off by the twanginess of it. It seems like they don't take well to high gain, which is a real downside for me. I'm not sure I want to seek one out, only to swap PUP's.

Is this uber twangi-ness just part of the Danelectro sound? Would a U2 for example be as twangy?

Thanks in advance,

- w

Generally, yes.

But, my friend, I have Zee Answer for you! The Dano Hodad!

3141374077_74b1b0f4a0_b.jpg

6609_111062428878_512618878_2152903_8041

Has coil-splitting for trad Dano sound, plus ballsier regular HB lipstick sound.

Rawks.

• Members

^^^

The white pickguard against the slate black body is so classy.

- w

I've never heard anyone describe Danos as "classy." Cool, vibey, quirky, etc. But classy. You may have a point though.

Lipstick pickups have output ranges of 3 to 4 K ohms, so were not talking about something that's gonna hit the front end of an amp very hard.

• Members

i'm not such a fan of Danos for a main guitar sound. i tried, and there was just nothing about it i liked. my Tele and Ric are much more versatile and just feel more solid.

that said, i use them extensively as backup guitars. the Convertible is always in alternate tunings. you won't find a better 12 string until you get to Rickenbacker. and the baritone is just plain awesome.

• Members

My 1965 Silvertone short scale was never a great player, but as a slide guitar, it slays! The lipstick pups work great for clean or mild overdrive. The overdriven tone of those original lipstick Dano guitars is unique and distinctive. I imagine these remakes capture the essence of the originals.

ASilvertoneGuitar1-1.jpg

• Members

i'm not such a fan of Danos for a main guitar sound. i tried, and there was just nothing about it i liked. my Tele and Ric are much more versatile and just feel more solid that said, i use them extensively as backup guitars. .

That makes a lot of sense to me. I've never played one, but my guess would be it is very nice for a certain type of rhythm sound, but very thin for lead work - unless you were really after that thin, twangy sound for blues.

- w

• Members

Even the aftermarket pickups available are weak by today's standards. They do clean incredibly well, and have a decidedly unique sound that screams "surf rock". Paired with a nice OD, you can get a very very convincing Zeppelin or Rolling Stones type sound if you have an amp to match.

They're also really fun to modify because they're so goddamn cheap and cheaply built. The bridges are garbage, the tuners are pieces of {censored}, and people often report strap buttons coming out. These can all be fixed with minimal effort.

A well built up Dano is a great addition to anyone's arsenal.

• Members

I can't add much to what's been said here already, but Danelectros are smokin' guitars for jangle, pop, indie, blues and garage rock. They don't bring the brootalz but they have a wonderful jangle that can get really nasty when put through a distorted amp.

And yes, the DC-12 is a killer 12-string. I like the neck better than a Rickenbacker's.

I've been lusting for a DC for Nashville tuning, or a Hodad with Bigsby, just because. Unfortunately, I think I have enough guitars for now. :cry:

• Members
Page used a tele for the early Led Zep stuff. Best example of his use of a Dano was "In My Time of Dying" off of Physical Graffiti...
:o

"Kashmir" was also a Danelectro. Actually, a lot of slide and DADGAD stuff was on the Dano, which shows the guitar takes alternate tunings really well.

• Members

I owned a Hodad, and loved it for what it was, but even in the "humbucker" settings the lipstick pickups were still noisy at high gain. I don't think there is anything that can be done to make those pickups work with high gain, and I wouldn't buy a Dano to swap the pickups out.

The Hodad is a great, versatile guitar for low to mid gain, though.

Archived