please identify my fernandes...

telecaster_user

• Members

today i bought an used guitar...yeah...:thu:

took it for around $450 with a non original hardcase

and the guitar is Fernandes ?????? Elite....

the seller said that this guitar is made in japan...but he was not sure what kind of fernandes ...

and there is no sticker of the serial number on the back headstock

please check it out ...:wave:

t_yjefp9urm_6f8df15.jpg

t_yjefp9usm_129950c.jpg

p>

• Members

that bridge pickup isn't stock either, its not F-spaced, could be a duncan or something.

hmm...really? he said that he never did anything to it....

and for me it doesn't seem like bullshit....:poke:

he even invited me to try his other guitars in his house....

update : my best guess is ...retrorocket (retrorocket what?? ) before 2000...

• Members

guitar companies USUALLY dont install non F-spaced pickups into an F-spaced guitar, so its probably not original. could be a good thing.

good thing eh? i hope so ...

is the bridge pu an active pu?

because when i removed the battery, all of them are dead....

i have no idea bout the wiring though...

• Members

in my catalogs , it appears to be the FR-65S...65,ooo retail...not high end. in 1999 and 2000 it`s listed as basswood...in 1997, soft maple. Also came with the locking system. Looks like by 2001, it was replaced by a model with a foto flame top...FGZ-550S in alder and locking system. I`ve probably got other catalogs areound but this is after a quick look at those that were handy.

• Members

in my catalogs , it appears to be the FR-65S...65,ooo retail...not high end. in 1999 and 2000 it`s listed as basswood...in 1997, soft maple. Also came with the locking system. Looks like by 2001, it was replaced by a model with a foto flame top...FGZ-550S in alder and locking system. I`ve probably got other catalogs areound but this is after a quick look at those that were handy.

really useful bro, thank you very much :thu:

but i searched "FR 65"...FR series appear with FR tremolo...not wilkinson...

is it japanese made?

• Members

the model in question in my 2000 catalog is actually listed as...FR-65S `98...see if that brings something different up from the web. The Floyd model is listed as the FGZ-650S `98... But theres a really big pic of the guitar in red on page 20 and it has the Wilkinson bridge...and is listed as the FR-65S `99...in the older catalogs they don`t mantion MIJ, MIK or MIC...later catalogs do...just got the `09 today and see only two models that say made in Japan...the RLG-85 and the RLC-85 so i assume everything else is not MIJ.

• Members

maybe mine is an old version of the retrorocket pro...

so...

i've just found that there's a "lite" (or "elite" ?) behind the "sustainer" decal on the front headstock

and i think there must be a serial number inside the neck joint

i'm gonna write it as soon as i 've change the strings...

• Members

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=IrN-E3yn5mMC&pg=PA404&lpg=PA404&dq=2001+fernandes+revolver&source=bl&ots=vuSZm1MPhF&sig=1yfJIflS4cn9qOJKGJZzQZoCdOU&hl=en&ei=e9eASuK3JIfs7APs_LXFCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9#v=onepage&q=2001%20fernandes%20revolver&f=false

quite possibly be a Fernandes AFR

see pic of afr70s eerily similar baring the gold finish

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=51150

fernandes also have/had a few Japan only specials (different finishes etc) so it could be an oddball in that sense. It will the very least be MIK. China was very recent and they've pulled out of there AFAIK with the exception of the very very budget lines.

Pretty sure it not a revolver - I haven't seen one with a non reverse headstock. (pro 81 owner my self). But I haven't seen one older than 2007

Also Fernandes guitars aren't popular in Japan?

• Members

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=IrN-E3yn5mMC&pg=PA404&lpg=PA404&dq=2001+fernandes+revolver&source=bl&ots=vuSZm1MPhF&sig=1yfJIflS4cn9qOJKGJZzQZoCdOU&hl=en&ei=e9eASuK3JIfs7APs_LXFCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9#v=onepage&q=2001%20fernandes%20revolver&f=false

quite possibly be a Fernandes AFR

see pic of afr70s eerily similar baring the gold finish

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=51150

fernandes also have/had a few Japan only specials (different finishes etc) so it could be an oddball in that sense. It will the very least be MIK. China was very recent and they've pulled out of there AFAIK with the exception of the very very budget lines.

Pretty sure it not a revolver - I haven't seen one with a non reverse headstock. (pro 81 owner my self). But I haven't seen one older than 2007

Also Fernandes guitars aren't popular in Japan?

hey thanks sir....

pretty similiar with mine, except the gotoh hardwares....

umm...btw i'm not in japan now...i'm in Indonesia... :)

• Members

in this Japanese city, Fernandes are not popular at all...neither are the MIJ Fenders, nor the Edwards...nor most MIJs actually...players here are willing to pay just about anything for MIAs...and do. One reason why I get em for such little money. I have seen Fernandes guitars in that gray color...and if I`m not mistaken the Lite part is because it doesn`t have a bucker in the neck position, I`d have to check but I think thats right. In the late `90s early `00s...there was no mention as to where guitars were made in my catalogs, either it was assumed it was Japan or people didn`t care...come to think of it, I`ve never heard locals talking about where the Edwards/Duncans are actually made...China/Korea or Japan like so many threads in guitar sites I visit, as far as I can tell nobody gives a rats butt about it and they leave them hanging in used gear shops for ages before I have to step in to buy them.

• Members

Oh I'm a little bit suprised by that but then again not really. When I was there I saw a lot of bands sporting ESP. I couldn't understand what most of them were saying, my Japanese is barely conversational level and my kanji reading skills are even worse. ( I got lost and found myself wandering through some sort of festival with live bands and some tasty shredding, of the 4or5 bands I saw most were running diezels:love: and ESP Forests, Eclipses and Horizons:love:) I know Fernandes isn't on the same level of popularity as ESP, but I do know Fernandes makes stuff for other brands as well.

Ah such a shame, I'll make better use of ishibashi then.

• Members

I`m speaking of the city I live in, hardly think I`m in a position to speak for the entire country...up here MIAs are what players seem to want...and they have a vast choice. We do have an ESP branch guitar shop...but it`s mostly heavy metal stuff, and everything absolutely reeks of cigarette smoke in there. They don`t carry used gear and thats all I`m interested in so no point in going there, when I do it`s just for catalogs...refuse to pay retail for any guitars anymore.