Looking for opinions on a smallish tube amp

Woody_in_MN

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sadly though they just raised the prices on these today. I also had been looking for a small amp and was considering these. Now that they jacked the price up $100/200 for the combo/stack it is no longer a contender.

Wow, $399 for the HT-5H now.

http://www.music123.com/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT-5H-5W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-483560-i1434795.Music123

It makes sense to Blackstar, I suppose, because it was priced very aggressively at the previous level. This change puts the amp closer to the price point of the Egnater Rebel 20, its closest rival. It could be that some potential buyers weren't taking this amp seriously at such a low price.

Even in its new price range, this amp is still pretty hard to beat, IMO. I'm a fan.

• Members

Does anybody else really dislike the Valvetronix series? I was very dissatisfied with mine.

It bugged me that my tele sounded just like my Les Paul through mine. The tone was over processed to a certain extent, but not bad.

I use mine as an easy, grab and go amp. But that being said, it has now been replaced by the Epi VJ I just got. Less features, but overall way better tones.

• Members

Check out this:

Gilmore Jr:
FENDER51NO-3047_001-1.jpg

Or this:

Rock Block
HENDRIX007.jpg

These are both 1 to 2 watt tube amps that really do the job around the house without getting you lynched by your significant other or the neighbors and that little Rock Block a real gain monster! Check it out on YouTube.

I have one of each (Just got the RB today.) and my 60watt tube amp just sits in the corner gathering dust. No kidding. I'm keeping it but I really have no use for it anymore.

• Members

HENDRIX007.jpg

I have one of each (Just got the RB today.) and my 60watt tube amp just sits in the corner gathering dust. No kidding. I'm keeping it but I really have no use for it anymore.

Those Rock Blocks are made right here in Colorado, IIRC.

Eventually, I'll get one. In the meantime, a good attenuator is doing the job. I have an 8 ohm for my Fender 57 Deluxe RI and a 16 ohm for my Marshall 18 watter and Vox AC30TBX. The Hot Plates that I have work better than the built in attenuator on my AC4. In fact, I've been using the THD Hot Plate on my AC4 when I plug it into my AC30 cab.

But the AC4 is going on the auction block soon. Nice amp, just too much repetition in my collection.

• Members
Also, the Zvex nanohead is pretty damn cool.

Yeah, the Nano Head is pretty cute and I almost bought one last year I'm glad that I didnt cause it can't really hold a candle to the Rock Block. In a side-to-side test, the Rock Block simply walks away from the Nano and never looks back. For the Zvex Nano, times have changed and the world has moved on. :wave:

Check out this video of a test between the two:

• Members

These are both 1 to 2 watt tube amps that really do the job around the house without getting you lynched by your significant other or the neighbors and that little Rock Block a real gain monster! Check it out on YouTube.

Yeah - I really am not after a 2 watt, or 60+ watt amp. I am probably more in the market for a 20 - 30 watt. Something between the Vypyr 15, and the Bandit 75.

- W

• Members

Just an observation here. It seems like a lot of the amps that were are talking about are hybrids. They have tubes for main power, but also have modeling/virtual amps. I have to go listen to them to see how well they work, but this might be the best of both worlds.

- W

• Members

I have a handsome devil and I love it. I can have the volume and drive at around half way with a Boss Metal core going at cranked level and the wife doesn't come in yelling at me. It also has a 7 watt setting, but I never use it, I keep it at 15. Awesome amp, but single channel, so you will have to go pedals for your effects. I have not once regretted buying this amp and I don't even look at other amps now. Really good clean and takes pedals well. Also, there is no effects loop. I have the head and one 1x12 cab, but I can't see the combo being that much different. Check it out.

• Members

I just went through that exact same decision, with the exact same cast of characters, and a few weeks of research.

As always, YMMV, but if I can offer you the benefit of my experience I'd suggest bringing the SCXD home for a week or two.

I really, really wanted a "pure" tube combo - a BF or SF Princeton Reverb specifically. But at the level that I'm playing at there's just no way I could justify that kind of $$. (My wife told me so!) So I set out to find something that would scratch that itch, but at a more agreeable price. All the while resisting the SC because it's a hybrid. Don't repeat my mistake.

There's magic in that little box. And with a few days at home to unlock it at your leisure you'll be thoroughly amazed at what you're able to get out of it. I really wasn't expecting to keep it when I brought it home, but 6 weeks later I consider it some of the best money I ever spent. I smile every time I see it.

And if it isn't what you're looking for, GC will be happy to take it back.

• Members

I have a gilmour jr and it is fantastic in my apartment. I can't turn it up past 2 so I drive it with a womanizer. Very convincing tone and feel without ear damage or pissed off nieghbors.

I have also used a ghetto hotplate which is basically a volume pad from radio shack that maintains 8 ohms.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1090288&highlight=ghetto+hotplate

• Members

I just went through that exact same decision, with the exact same cast of characters, and a few weeks of research.

As always, YMMV, but if I can offer you the benefit of my experience I'd suggest bringing the SCXD home for a week or two.

I really, really wanted a "pure" tube combo - a BF or SF Princeton Reverb specifically. But at the level that I'm playing at there's just no way I could justify that kind of $$. (My wife told me so!) So I set out to find something that would scratch that itch, but at a more agreeable price. All the while resisting the SC because it's a hybrid. Don't repeat my mistake.

There's magic in that little box. And with a few days at home to unlock it at your leisure you'll be thoroughly amazed at what you're able to get out of it. I really wasn't expecting to keep it when I brought it home, but 6 weeks later I consider it some of the best money I ever spent. I smile every time I see it.

And if it isn't what you're looking for, GC will be happy to take it back.

Thanks. Actually the SCXD is at the top of my list. I think I mentioned it above, but my local GC has a used Super Champ for $200. My wife has a lot of work to do this weekend, so this will give me plenty of chances to drive down to GC with one of my axes and test a couple out.

One question on the SCXD - is it load enough to do a band rehearsal with?

If I were to gig again, I would probably drag out my Bandit 75. For practicing at home the Vypyr does all I ask and more. But I'm not sure I could hang in with a band practice with it. That's kind of the niche I am trying to fill - some home use, but big enough I could do band practice with it.

I think my top contenders right now are:

SCXD

VOX Valvetronics 30

Peavey ValveKing (1 x 12)

Peavey Valveking Royal 8

- w

• Members

If your going to get the valve king, you may as well get the Classic 30. Much better amp (quality wise). USA vs China. You'll still get a good amount of tube feel at bedroom volumes, I used a classic 50 for practice and gigging for a few years in college. You don't need tube saturation when you practice by yourself, but you'll be glad when you bring it to band practice.

• Members

Most of the guys that use them to gig with have either upgraded to a 1x12 cab or replaced the speaker with an Emi Ragin' Cajun. They say the stock speaker sounds OK, but isn't efficient enough to cut through.

• Members

Another area I was surprised with. "15 w? Through a 10" speaker? And in that little cab? Will I need to have my ear right up against it to hear anything?"

Damn right you'll be able to hear something! I was pleasantly surprised at the power that it has. Unless you're standing between Keith Moon and John Entwhistle, then yeah, it's enough for band practice or a coffee shop gig. It's also got enough juice to run a 2x12 or 4x12 if you want to get a really big sound. I've never done this though - only read about it.

So if it helps to give a reference point, anything that you could do with a Princeton Reverb in terms of filling a room or being heard over a band, you can do with this.

And if you need more volume there's also the very popular speaker upgrade. Pop a Rajin' Cajun in and you'll get an extra 3-4 Db out of her and a slightly ballsier sound. I dig the "Fender Clean" myself, so that's not a route I'd go, but a Jenny CQ10 or a Weber Sig might not be out of the question - although the stock speaker isn't terrible. A Celestion Blue it ain't, but holds together pretty well at higher volumes and I have yet to hear it fart. (I was kinda hoping that the cab might have enough around the edges that I could squeeze a 12" in there somehow, but that's just not gonna happen.)

Every shortcoming that I've found has been more than overcome by the price. For what I paid this thing is way more than I expected. I still wish it had a mid knob in the tone stack, but I have to say that I've gotten on just fine w/out it. And if you can get one 200 that's got decent tubes in it then I'd say you're in tall cotton. (Think mine was 260 or 270 new @ GC.)

• Members

^^ The Weber Sig10F is great. That's what I use. And I swapped in a JJ ECC83S for the stock 12AX7

15W + 10" = punch

Think of an analogy of the same water flow going through a big hose vs a small hose. Small hose has more "pressure"

• Members

Follow up question on the SCXD:

I see there is a way to plug in an external speaker cab, but is there (out of the box) a way to run both the built-in speaker, and (say) a external cab with a couple of 10"s, or 12's" ? Or would that require some re-wiring, or a seperate box of some sort?

- W

Archived