Bobby McFerrin demonstrates everyone knows pentatonic scale

Phait

• Members

WOW, I admire so much that guy! If I could steel somebody his talent, it would be mcferrin's

MAybe a silly question but: It has to do with the distances he jumped? I mean is the audience making a relationship between the distances jumped and the musical interval? or it doesnt matter? What are the first 2 notes he sings?

Is important to remember that people in audience are not musicians, they are from the cientific community! Amazing...

Will that conference be released on DVD or something?

• Members

That was so cool. Bobby McFerrin is one of my hero's. I have a quote of his in my studio and my house and I read it every day.

"I am a Healer using Music as a potent Force for bringing people Joy."

His excercise demontrates how universal the pentatonic scale is, and how easily people fall into it. 5 is a powerful number indeed. Some say it is the number of perfection.

• Members

WOW, I admire so much that guy! If I could steel somebody his talent, it would be mcferrin's

MAybe a silly question but: It has to do with the distances he jumped? I mean is the audience making a relationship between the distances jumped and the musical interval? or it doesnt matter? What are the first 2 notes he sings?

Is important to remember that people in audience are not musicians, they are from the cientific community! Amazing...

Will that conference be released on DVD or something?

No the distances are, in this case, irrelevant.

People are relating to the relative pitches he establishes & their memory of musical events not evaluating the actual distance (he's not really leaping to the exact same spots).

Musical appreciation doesn't depend on having great mucial skill (if it did we'd be sadly outta luck!). It depends on most people's general awareness of what happens within a culture.

Compare it to what happens when a church congregation sings a hymn or a crowd intones the "Star Spangled Banner", etc.

Most of them aren't practiced singers & many might recall all the words correctly but enough keep the whole thing on track that it generally sounds right.

--------------------------------------------------------

Archived