Hey! Its a HNN Day!!!

mymindsok

• Members

So!

This morning I got up at dawn, had a cuppa, stopped at the bank, took out a wad of cash and headed out to Cotati, CA for Zone Music's in twice annual flee market!

This time attendence was down a bit but there was still a nice turnout of venders and customers. I found a pretty nice recapped Fender Champ for $300 that I almost threw down on (Theyre going for $400 and up on Ebay.) but I hesitated because I just bought the Rock Block a couple weeks ago and didnt want to risk hearing "What? You bought another amp? What are you going to do with this one?" So, I moved on down the line, where I spotted a guy with a used Strat neck on his table and I've been thinking about swapping out the neck thats on my MIM Strat for something wider.

When I looked it over the neck turned out to be pretty much what I've been looking for. It's Vintage/American in width with a 12" radius, big frets and rolled edges like my EJ but with a "C" profile this time. The finish is aged, tinted nitro on the board and nothing on the back. Just palm-smoothed maple. Yeah... It was lacquered but it's long gone now. The name on the headstock is "Surles", while the inked script in the pocket area says "Neck for Randy Quan" #000902 and for $110 it was mine! ("Hmmmm... Randy Quan... Where do I know that name from?" Oh well, this'll do me till I can find a cheap EJ neck.")

So I'm walking away with this old neck when Frank, the owner of Zone Music, stops me to look my purchase over and exclaims "Hey! I used to own this neck! You met Randy Quan here a couple of years ago and I got it from him!" and so it turns out that the neck has passed, literally, through the hands of several of Sonoma County's best Strat jockeys and was built by Jim Serles! As it turns out, Jim is not only a great guitarist (In a local known for it's accomplished guitarists.) but also built many fine custom guitars, that went into the hands of some famous players. Then, he sold off his legendary wood stash and disapeared into that state known as Texas.

Heres the only article that I could come up with: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=96120

So there it is and tomorrow, I'll install my new "Mojo Majick" neck. I just cant wait!

HENDRIX002-1.jpg

HENDRIX003-1.jpg

HENDRIX007.jpg

HENDRIX005.jpg

Oh yeah.... If anyone has one of SRV's old necks, I'm in the market for one of those too! :thu:

Archived