Re-fret question

SteinbergerHack

• Members

Well, I've finally hit the point that my Steinberger GL2TA is nearly unplayable due to fret wear. They're stainless, but even so they've worn down just too far. Thus, I need to replace the frets. Trouble is, it has some sort of molded/machined phenolic fingerboard, and every tech I've asked about it refuses to touch it (which is fine with me - I'd rather they be honest than screw up the instrument).

Does anyone here know how to do a fret job on one of the original Steinbergers? Know anyone who does? Heard rumors of anyone who does?

• Members

Sounds like it's time for a new guitar. The frets on these are stainless. But stainless comes in many flavors. They can actually be softer than standard frets. Unless you want to take off the fretboard & start over I'd throw it away.

• Members
Sounds like it's time for a new guitar. The frets on these are stainless. But stainless comes in many flavors. They can actually be softer than standard frets. Unless you want to take off the fretboard & start over I'd throw it away.

:facepalm:

Thanks - that's helpful. I have plenty of guitars, but the Steinberger is pretty useful due to its size. I'm playing it tonight in a pit orchestra where we're packed in like sardines - no wood guitar would work as well for the application. Seeing as how they quit building Steinbergers a long time ago........

• Members
Don't tell Musicians Friend -
they're still selling 'em!

:facepalm:

No - that's not a GL2TA - not anywhere close. The "real" all-composite Steinbergers have been gone for a couple of decades. The Spirits and Synapses are cheap wooden knockoffs - roughly the same as the Cort copies that came out when the composites were still being made.

Archived