So i decided im a fender guy... but what amp do i get?

Radiohead625

• Members

Well, most of the more popular Fenders have reasons for existence that are realized by many, many folks or else some of them would just die away after 40+ years, no?

:idk:

The Deluxe is about achieving clean and overdriven power tube tones at somewhat reasonable levels in an easy to move package. The Princeton is about the same thing, but with less bottom end and an even smaller package. The Twin is about always staying CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN at all levels forever that isn't terribly heavy, but it IS heavy. The Bassman is about breakup and getting into Marshally territory. The Super Reverb is about combining the Deluxe and the Bassman in one package.

If you want to play Fender cleans at Muzak levels, they will all do a very, very good job. If you want it to stay fairly clean and sound just like it's cookin a bit, get the Deluxe or the Princeton. If you want to get Fender and slightly Marshally tones without using a pedal, get the Bassman or Super Reverb. The Bassman and Super Reverb certainly are capable of playing at very loud levels for sure, but at those loudest levels, the Twin is still unbelievably clean.

My take is, for playing at home, get a Deluxe or Princeton. If you don't 'get' the Deluxe, then it is lost on you and pass it over. If you want to play crazy loud with both cleans from the amp and dirt from the pedal, get the Twin. Sounds like you kinda want a Super Reverb though... so get it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

:thu:

• Members

I'm mostly a fender guy, too (vibrolux reverb custom, DRRI, '59 Bassman RI, even a Pro185), but right now, my favorite is the Marshall JVM410 (I have the head with 1960AV cab, but there is a 2x12 combo as well).

It has a sweet crystal clean channel as well as 3 other channels of increasing distortion/overdrive. Each channel has three modes (green orange red: you get the drift). I use it with a G-system or a Nova System in the serial loop for effects. Onboard reverb is digital, and not my favorite thing...