OT: Windows 7 will fly

Jon Doe

• Members

Set me straight on this, please:

Am I right in thinking that W7 has not been released yet? Do we have a certain release date? Was the "test drive" version a complete version of the final product?

The "test drive" version is called the "Release Candidate" (RC). The retail product becomes available in October.

http://windows.microsoft.com/windows-7?os=nonwin7

• Members

By all accounts so far (I've searched for bad reviews to no avail) the RC is stable and complete. people have installed it on older machines including older laptops and the machines work well -- at least as good as they did under XP. Unlike vista, the nice-looking graphics do not slow it down.

My son has installed it on his gaming laptop, hoping for a performance boost compared to vista, but he hasn't noticed a big difference. It is, without tweakage, as fast as vista was after terminating all unneeded services and crapware. I predict that this will be a good thing for MS and for people who use or support MS professionally. I was never an irrational Vista hater, but I realize that Vista did little to improve life on a PC. I still heard many utterances of "I guess next time I'll get a Mac".

As soon as I can afford a day of down time, I'm installing the RC.

Archived