Putting the correct colored parts back on a 73 LP Custom

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
are you gonna solder the covers on,or just drop em in place?

they are an extremely tight fit, i don't believe i will need to solder...

and i ran into a problem with the covers. the pole spacing on the bridge is about 1/8" wider in total than the neck pole spacing... so i can easily remedy that with another neck cover, but i am wondering if this guitar has two neck pickups in it or if that is the way they were made back in the day....

the stop tail and bridge went on nicely... however i have a question on the ABR-1 bridge. there are no string slots in the saddles like the older one. is this the new and improved version or something? seems like bends might cause issues with the string coming off the saddle, i dunno cuz i haven't played it yet...

tuners are next. :thu:

damn camera battery ran out, it's charging now... ;)

• Members

well, my 73 came with the huge 70's SG style schaller bridge, but that doesn't bother me

just gotta get some iron chrolide for some aging

Eric, would measure your neck and bridge spacings on the pickup pole pieces

or

PAGING dimmypage !!!! please come to this thread and measure your pickup pole spacings for me...

• Members

That sure is odd, you know. I don't know a lot about Gibsons, but I assumed that both pickups were the same size... except made differently, of course, to be bridge or neck.

Maybe one of them was replaced with an odd size one before you got it, and you were never told? That would suck epically.

Keep us posted mate... hope you can get 'er done soon :thu:

• Members
That sure is odd, you know. I don't know a lot about Gibsons, but I assumed that both pickups were the same size... except made differently, of course, to be bridge or neck.

Maybe one of them was replaced with an odd size one before you got it, and you were never told? That would suck epically.

Keep us posted mate... hope you can get 'er done soon
:thu:

they are both T-top Gibson pickups... and I too assumed they were the same size in regards to pole spacing...

i just measure my two recently made studios and there is in fact a difference of 1/8"... not so much on the '73 :cry:

• Members

Except for Jazz guitars, original PAFs and T-Tops used the same spacing for bridge and neck, the Jazzers got a standard spaced bridge and narrow spaced neck.

I dunno when Gibson started using bridge/neck spacing but it wasn't that way in the "good ole days"

• Members
Except for Jazz guitars, original PAFs and T-Tops used the same spacing for bridge and neck, the Jazzers got a standard spaced bridge and narrow spaced neck.

I dunno when Gibson started using bridge/neck spacing but it wasn't that way in the "good ole days"

thanks Brian, i'm off to order another neck cover then... :thu:

can you or anybody else answer my question regarding the missing string slots from the saddles on the ABR-1 bridge...?

• Members

Im pretty sure mine had exactly the same pole spacings. Did you get covers for 490 and 498 or the old alnicos?(maybe different?) Also watch out because some modern Gibby pickups/covers are made in Korea,not that that is bad but theyre metric and may not work for the older Gibbys. To be honest I remember those things being pretty interchangeable.

• Members
Im pretty sure mine had exactly the same pole spacings. Did you get covers for 490 and 498 or the old alnicos?(maybe different?) Also watch out because some modern Gibby pickups/covers are made in Korea,not that that is bad but theyre metric and may not work for the older Gibbys. To be honest I remember those things being pretty interchangeable.

thanks man...

i need to modern neck covers. both of my pickups have the exact same pole spacing...

the neck cover is fitting perfectly, so i just ordered another one.

once i have that the transformation will be complete... :thu:

• Members
thanks man...

i need to modern neck covers. both of my pickups have the exact same pole spacing...

the neck cover is fitting perfectly, so i just ordered another one.

once i have that the transformation will be complete...

Remember that back in the early 70s there was only one type of pickup and that was the one Gibson put in YOUR guitar:D

• Members
thanks Brian, i'm off to order another neck cover then...

can you or anybody else answer my question regarding the missing string slots from the saddles on the ABR-1 bridge...?

I dunno why Gibson doesn't slot the bridge inserts, but it does give you a little leeway to alter the spacing slightly if you want. The strings will naturally make a slight notch them self, or you can use a triangle file to just make a slight notch yourself. Just barely a notch will work, and then use some ultra fine grit sandpaper to burnish the new slot.

• Members

I dunno why Gibson doesn't slot the bridge inserts, but it does give you a little leeway to alter the spacing slightly if you want. The strings will naturally make a slight notch them self, or you can use a triangle file to just make a slight notch yourself. Just barely a notch will work, and then use some ultra fine grit sandpaper to burnish the new slot.

I understand that in the factory, they place the strings in place then give them a tap with a small hammer.

Personally, I'd be more comfortable using a file

• Members

all right, thanks :thu:

• Members

Yes. Gibson uses a hammer.

String the guitar up, get the string spacing correct at the bridge, then hit each string with a hammer where it passes over the saddle.

This puts a small dent in the saddle that lets you know where you need to file the groove for the string. You don't need to wail on it with the hammer, you're just trying to make a visible indentation to guide the first strokes with the file.

Typically, you want a set of nut files for this, but a small triangular shaped needle file can be pressed into service. They can be found in hobby shops.

Archived