Xaviere Jagmaster copy?

Mobot

• Members

Has anyone heard anything about Xaviere making a Jagmaster clone? Someone posted on the offset guitar forums they they are coming out with one soon but i can't find any info anywhere. If this is true i would probably buy at least a couple.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Uh.............. do you even know what a Xaviere is?
:rolleyes:

Let's see. I've been in here just about every day for the past few years (that's sad, I know). What are the chances I don't know what a Xaviere is? :rolleyes:

Do the math:

Squier Jagmaster: $250

Xaviere: $200-250

Why would you buy the Xaviere to save $25-50? Squier will have better resale value anyway...

As Rooster-Monkey said, if you're talking Jazzmaster, then we're talking a whole new ballgame...

And a lawsuit from Fender. Kurt from Rondo has been asked a billion times to make a jazzmaster and he says the SJM is as close as he can get without a lawsuit from Fender.

• Members

And a lawsuit from Fender. Kurt from Rondo has been asked a billion times to make a jazzmaster and he says the SJM is as close as he can get without a lawsuit from Fender.

Any idea why Fender would be sue-happy over the Jazzmaster but not all the Strat and Tele clones? Did they lose the copyright by not enforcing it? Just curious as to the history.

• Members

Any idea why Fender would be sue-happy over the Jazzmaster but not all the Strat and Tele clones? Did they lose the copyright by not enforcing it? Just curious as to the history.

I've wondered that same thing for a long time now. Anyone?

• Members

Any idea why Fender would be sue-happy over the Jazzmaster but not all the Strat and Tele clones? Did they lose the
copyright
by not enforcing it? Just curious as to the history.

The word you are looking for is "trademark".

• Members

You are correct. But you don't know the answer.

Yeah, I do, actually. Fender's concerns originally lied with their headstock shape, and they've been very protective with that trademark. The body shapes had been so heavily copied that they had difficulty enforcing/maintaining all the lawsuits that would have been necessary, so they've historically been less vigilant in that regard.

There are relatively fewer Jazzmaster, Mustang, etc copies than Strat and Tele, so sending cease and desist orders has traditionally been a slighly easier task than going after the millions of Strat/Tele copies that have flooded the market these past 50+ years.

Gibson, on the other hand, has been much more aggressive in protecting not only the headstock design, but body shapes as well. Hence the "lawsuit" era models and even recent nonsense like the PRS Singlecut suit.

Archived