Songs for Guitar and Drums only

nuke_diver

• Members

So our bass player has been MIA so it's just the drummer and me. We are not experienced and are doing this for fun but without the bass player a number of the songs we do play don't work well. Anyone else have this situation and what are the workarounds. I expect that the drummer and I will continue to play together whether we have a bassist or not.

:wave:

• Members

what style of music do you play?

I'm old so classic rock...blues...some Green Day...oh and we tried some reggae the other day :thu:

generally there are only 2 kinds of music...good music and bad music.

but from our standpoint there is another class...hard music and easy music...we arent so good so we tend to the easy music

set list with Bass player included

Day Tripper, Come Together, Holiday (Green Day), East Jesus Nowhere, Funk 49, Sin City, Jumpin Jack Flash, Wild Nights, some random blues and rock jams and a couple of originals which are rock/grunge based

• Members

I'm old so classic rock...blues...some Green Day...oh and we tried some reggae the other day
:thu:

generally there are only 2 kinds of music...good music and bad music.

but from our standpoint there is another class...hard music and easy music...we arent so good so we tend to the easy music

set list with Bass player included

Day Tripper, Come Together, Holiday (Green Day), East Jesus Nowhere, Funk 49, Sin City, Jumpin Jack Flash, Wild Nights, some random blues and rock jams and a couple of originals which are rock/grunge based

i'd have a really good listen to the way the black keys approach things.... obviously some songs won't work in that format... and you'll just have to change your approach to playing some of the others

there's a tonne of blues stuff you could do

i think it's really about you and the drummer 'locking in' more than ever... which can be a really cool thing

• Members

For me, I would miss a bass in a band but that's me. I find the bass player and drummer are two people who make a team and make together a complete part of the picture. Heck even the bass drum and bass player can be thought as a team working together.

• Members

one cool thing about no bass is the big fat rich guitar sound you can have without worrying about it cutting through

i think it would be pretty easy (and a lot of fun) doing a 2 piece arrangement on riff-based songs like jumpin' jack flash

the kick drum will almost become your bass guitar

• Members

one cool thing about no bass is the big fat rich guitar sound you can have without worrying about it cutting through

i think it would be pretty easy (and a lot of fun) doing a 2 piece arrangement on riff-based songs like jumpin' jack flash

the kick drum will almost become your bass guitar

One cool thing about no bass is I can freewheel at will :p...So long as I stay on the beat I don't need to stay in key so I can try out weird combinations of chords and see if they work or not :facepalm:

But some songs are missing something without the bass and don't sound so good which is why I asked the question. I'll check out some of the bands suggested that I'm not familiar with. I don't have the chops to play rhythm and lead at the same time (a la Hendrix) so hopefully the suggestions don't need crazy skillz cause I ain't got them :mad:

Archived