Man-O-maN! Those are some heavy strings. (Hondo Chiquita)

gpaaib

• Members

I've been thinking about picking up an older Hondo Chiquita travel guitar to play around with while out and about. While doing a little studying on them I came across a site that mentioned string gauge. WOW!

And this is from a label on the back of the headstock:

E or 1st .013 / .330

B or 2nd .017 / .432

G or 3rd .022 / .560

D or 4th .036 / .916

A or 5th .046 / 1.170

E or 6th .056 / 1.423

I am used to using 10's. If I have it set up for my lighter gauge strings do you think the tone difference will be that drastic? What else will be affected by replacing it with the lighter strings?

Thanks!

Gary

• Members

As I recall, the Chiquita used a very short-scale neck... if that's the case, using your regular light gauge strings would be like putting rubber bands on your normal electric. They'd flop all over the place.

OTOH, the suggested gauge would probably feel 'normal' due to the lower tension/ shorter scale.

P.S. Looks like Erlewine still makes the original : http://www.erlewineguitars.com/pgs/chiquita.htm

• 9 years later...
  • Members

The Chiquita guitar is a must have for guitar enthusiasts and collectors. It boasts a classic 59 Style Dimazio humbucker. The bridge is a tune-o-matic "BADASS" Tremelo.

Unlike most travel guitars, this little beauty can be played on stage, and has been, by many famous musicians.

The guitar is the brainchild of Dan Earlewine and his Brother Mark.  If you're ever in Austin, Texas, stroll into their custom shop. Both of them will be happy to meet you and give you an insight to their magic.

If you can afford it, put in an order for one of their full size customs, designed to your specs. Their prices for a full scale electric aren't cheap, and there's a reason why.

Their hands down, some of the best instruments I've ever played. No detail is overlooked regarding craftsmanship and electrics. The customer list is a who's who of the music industry. They've made guitars for Clapton, Stevie Ray, ZZ Top,... you get the idea.  Check them out at the little shop in Austin, Texas.

P.S.

I bought  a book titled guitar player repair guide and another regarding guitar finishing. When they arrived, I looked at the author's name, and would you believe, it was Dan Erlewine. I wasn't shocked, the guy knows his stuff.

Chadley,

Proud owner of an 88' Chiquita. 

Archived