When is enough, really "enough"? Just a thought...

mymindsok

• Members

I used to have a fairy sizable guitar collection (50+), but have gotten rid of everything I have owned and am now down to one guitar, but getting a backup. I have one good amp and have paid for and am waiting for my backup to arrive.
Other then that, I have nothing, aside from an effects board. I play out all the time and so these are my working tools as well as my only tangible things I would collect.

I have sold many fine collectible guitars and a Diezel Herbert to help fund my wife's business, but having owned the guitars I have wanted as I have gone along, working all these years, I now have no GAS for anything major that I cannot put off having for now.

Yes, I would like a Vigier and maybe another ES 3X5 guitar, but I am so happy playing my carbon fiber guitar that I really don't need anything else at this time.

It comes down to finding the exact guitars that make your gas disappear. Sometimes the only way that happens is to have owned or played extensively, all the guitars that give you gas and just start eliminating the ones that are less desirable. Soon, you will come to the thinking that XYZ guitar is the one you most want, need, desire, whatever.

This same thinking goes as well for amps, effects, and other periferals.
Some people find their guitar/amp/effects sooner then others do.
If you play out for part of or all of your income, you might take longer to get to this point.
Some people don't ever get to this gasseous point and are satisfied with one of the first guitars they own. Others are not that lucky.

This is just my observation, but it has been what I have, and those close to me, have experienced.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was totally kidding. :lol:

I have too many guitars, but my draw is the good deal, not a pursuit of 'the best' or 'tone'. If I come across a guitar that tends to go for $500 used and I can get it for $250, I get it if it's something I'm remotely interested in.

My problem is that I tend not to sell them until I literally have more than my room will comfortably hold. I'm definitely in more of a selling phase than a buying phase right now so I guess I'm moving in the right direction.

If I had to get rid of everything except two guitars, two amps and two pedals, I could do it in a heartbeat. One of each might make me wince, but I could do that as well.

• Members

I've been in the process of paring down my collection for a number of months now. At my peak I had something like 45 guitars and 15+ amps! Plus maybe 70 pedals.

At this point I have it down to 10 amps and 19 guitars. I figure when I'm done I'll have 8 or 9 guitars and 6 or 7 amps.

Getting below that level would be very problematic, as my other hobby is building and restoring guitars, amps and pedals. Most everything I'll have left is stuff I've poured blood, sweat and time into. It would be almost as bad as selling a child.

But I'm perfectly happy if I can get it down to the levels above. Then it'll slowly start to creep back up as I find projects I really want to tackle. So be it.

• Members

Everyone should REALLY own one guitar that they love and cherish. Well maybe an electric and an acoustic. Instead of trying to spread love around to 6-7 different guitars, those guitars should go to someone who NEEDS them.

There's no better feeling than to know that you've helped somebody else that needed it.

The worlds problems, and this countries problems, start with GREED. Not terrorism, not the swine flu, not health care, but GREED.

• Members

I've been in this minimumalist mode for several years now.
Last time I moved I brought in a 30 cu yd roll off dumpster & filled it to overflowing with acumulated stuff.
I'm still in the process of getting rid of the last of the items around that don't get used, but have some value.
I've still got enough tac to get 7 or 8 horses rigged up to ride & sold the last animal several years ago, so these items are on the market.
As far as the guitars go, most of them, that are not self built, were bought on the cheap because of major issues with playability...non-functioning truss rod, broken headstock, etc & rebuilt as my hobby.
I don't have a large collection, as they come & then they go & the way I feel about it, the ones I do have, I don't have to feed them, so it doesn't cost me to have them here.
But, other than 3 or 4 of them, if they wern't here, I wouldn't miss them.

I am hereby revoking any and all HCEG memberships unless we have a slew of NGDs around here soon!!!! :mad:

:D

Great post. People do tend to surround themselves with a ton of crap. The bigger the space, the more stuff. I agree with JJ on the movies thing. Never felt the compulsion to own something I'm only going to use once or twice. But I do like my guitars. And I have no problem buying and selling them just for the joy of trying something new and different. I love that my guitars have different voices that can inspire me in different directions. I like how they let me say the same thing differently.

And like the OP, I'm glad I live in a time and place where I can be a little indulgent. I'm not alone.

As long as we don't forget what's important and live with the attitude that if it were all gone tomorrow, we'd still have what was most important, we're good.

Archived