a new build, a PRS'ish style thing

ajcoholic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jim,

Not that I don't realizes the huge difference between what you do, AJ does and the guys who build Agiles for Kurt do but.... All the lower end Agiles are set necks that are maple. I love the 3 I have. I think it brings more snap to the attack than a maple cap does.

:)

My Ibanez reissue AR300 also has a maple capped mahog body with a set maple neck. Its an amazing guitar, especially for the cost.

The LP styled guitar I made before this one, has a maple set neck. It is quickly becoming my #1 player, although I have had it only since August.

IMG_5587.jpg

• Members

Finishing was done about 3pm today. After a few hours I fit the neck onto the body (its a snug press fit, and will easily hold the body - although when I was taking these pics I thought it would really suck if it decided to fall onto the concrete shop floor.. )

Here it is... more Friday or Saturday...

AJC

IMG_7657.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg

IMG_7659.jpg

• Members

looks like its a good job, you just happened to hit 3 things that i dont like on guitars, haha
:)

prs shape, figured wood, red!

sowwy.

Easy to fix with a can of flat black and a jigsaw:)

As with the last guitar I did for someone else, red woudlnt be my first choice, nor would the offset markers, or ebony board... but its what the fellow wants. I aim to please! :)

AJC

• Members

Is it just me, or do you other builders wonder "I sure hope I got the bridge in the right position" at this point in the build...:poke:

Its only happened to me once, back in 2004. Upon getting the guitar together and trying to set it up, I realised I had the bridge 1" too close to the nut. Wow, what a feeling :facepalm:

AJC

• Members

Is it just me, or do you other builders wonder "I sure hope I got the bridge in the right position" at this point in the build...:poke:

Its only happened to me once, back in 2004. Upon getting the guitar together and trying to set it up, I realised I had the bridge 1" too close to the nut. Wow, what a feeling
:facepalm:

AJC

haha. i always drill for the bridge after everything together. i guess that wouldnt be ideal with a trem route though.

i did glue a neck in crooked once, install the bridge, reset the neck cause i didnt like the setback angle, and "fixed" the crookednes without realizing that would {censored} over the bridge.

that guitars actually somewhat scrapped now., though im thinking i should try to reused parts. im going to saw off the fretboard and save that - make it narrower and bind it gibson style. ill take out the trussrod and reuse that, then cut the body into a gibson jr style double cut, make a new neck pocket and then carve a new neck for it.

in fact, i might just do that right now (ive been home sick with the flu, im bored)

• Members

Its only happened to me once, back in 2004. Upon getting the guitar together and trying to set it up, I realised I had the bridge 1" too close to the nut. Wow, what a feeling
:facepalm:

AJC

I always measure at least 1/2 dozen times for both scale length and stud spacing, but the one I am currently building I did my usual checking and rechecking and then promptly missed my mark by 1/8" when drilling. It would have been fine as was since I am using a bridge with enough saddle adjustment, but I ended up doweling it because I'm insane.

• Members

Naw, artists dont copy other's work... I am a guitar plagerist. At least I am honest about it!
:thu:

AJC

Liar!! You are an absolute artist and I'm still waiting for mine :poke::thu:

I'm looking for something in a 24.7" scale, dual cut away - looks kinda like the one you're already building.

• Members

Well,

Its done! When I got to work this morning, I decided to start wet sanding as I was the first one there.... Before you know it, the thing is assembled, wired up and ready to go!

I was just playing it now at home (lunch time)for a few minutes.. there is just one small issue with the 4th string sticking in the nut slot... a quick file swipe will fix that. Otherwise, she sings beautifully! The Fralins are great pickups, and the guitar sounds awesome through my Trinity Triwatt!

Back to work (real work this time)....

AJC

IMG_7661.jpg

IMG_7662.jpg

IMG_7663.jpg

Archived