Stronger Trem Arms?

Neon Soul

• Members

After snapping my 4th tremolo arm in my Strat I really need something stronger.

I like the tuning stability and the control I get from the trem by using 5 springs so if I can help It it'll stay with 5 springs in it.

I've heard the Callaham 64 arm is stronger, can anyone confirm?

Right now I'm using the original bar bent the other way so the tip is in the bridge.

I'm using the fender vintage trem on the ri's.

Any recommendations?

• Members

After snapping my 4th tremolo arm in my Strat I really need something stronger.

I like the tuning stability and the control I get from the trem by using 5 springs so if I can help It it'll stay with 5 springs in it.

I've heard the Callaham 64 arm is stronger, can anyone confirm?

Right now I'm using the original bar bent the other way so the tip is in the bridge.

I'm using the fender vintage trem on the ri's.

Any recommendations?

Yeah, learn how to use one properly. I've played for 20 years and never "snapped" a trem arm. I've stripped the hole in a strat bridge, and I've worn several out on various Floyd Roses, but to physically snap one tells me you are abusing it well beyond what is normal.

• Members

Plus, you could screw it into the hole properly.

I mean, why on earth do you "bend it the other way" so the tip's in the hole? Just screw it in like Leo intended, and you should be fine.

I snapped it at the threads and had to bend the whole bar straight and then make a bend at the tip and use those threads in the bridge as a makeshift bar till I can get a new one.

It get weak because the bar bends down towards the guitar against the bridge tension and I have to bend it a bit back up. Over time it gets weak at the top of the threads and eventually breaks through.

I'm not swinging the guitar by the freaking bar or anything.

• Members

I snapped it at the threads and had to bend the whole bar straight and then make a bend at the tip and use those threads in the bridge as a makeshift bar till I can get a new one.

It get weak because the bar bends down towards the guitar against the bridge tension and I have to bend it a bit back up. Over time it gets weak at the top of the threads and eventually breaks through.

I'm not swinging the guitar by the freaking bar or anything.

Again, not under anything remotely close to normal usage. Let me guess, you screw the bar in until it won't go any further, correct? The one time I've seen a bar snap at the threads was because the guy wanted a non-moving bar. Well, he got one all right.. If you want more tension on the bar, get some plumbers tape and wrap around the threads. Over-tightening it can only end poorly.

• Members

Again, not under anything remotely close to normal usage. Let me guess, you screw the bar in until it won't go any further, correct? The one time I've seen a bar snap at the threads was because the guy wanted a non-moving bar. Well, he got one all right.. If you want more tension on the bar, get some plumbers tape and wrap around the threads. Over-tightening it can only end poorly.

Nope. In till it stops turning and then one time back to loosen it off.

I appreciate what your saying but It's not really helping me. Yeah, in the past I've done some large dives with it and that has weakened past bars but this most recent one was with slow controlled dips.

• Members

If you must use 5 springs in the back, I would say the Callaham unit is gonna be your best bet.

Manmade makes the original PRS trems (and Paul has stated that one of the reasons he designed it the way he did was to avoid arm breakage) and I think they make a vintage 6-screw replacement for the MIA RIs.

I think I have read interviews with Richie Blackmore who said he also had that problem and that he always used a thicker bar. Maybe some research will uncover what he used as a replacement.

• Members

I have a Callaham trem in my #1 guitar and, while the benefit to me wasn't worth the cost, it's obviously a great quality unit. The arm is machined and it's highly doubtful you'd ever break one.

Having said that, I've never broken a trem arm. I'm 36 and have been playing electrics with trems since I was 11 and I was metal for most of my teen years and went through a punk phase.

Having said that, it's hard to envision someone that, acting in a remotely acting reasonable manner, using decent quality hardware, could break 4 arms.

:eek:

Archived