Identify This Silvertone!

Joranges

• Members

I had a 3-pickup version of that as my very first electric! We 'rescued' it from the trash. Someone has tossed it out b/c it was missing the bridge & my father fashioned a replacement out of a piece of brass tubing (& I've been modding guitars ever since :p ).

You sure that it's a Silvertone? Looks more like a kay/harmony/teisco (or just about any other store brand of the era) to me. As I recall, mine was labeled a Harmony.

P.S. This is a '68 Silvertone: http://harmony.demont.net/model.php?id=693

• Members

I had a 3-pickup version of that as my very first electric! We 'rescued' it from the trash. Someone has tossed it out b/c it was missing the bridge & my father fashioned a replacement out of a piece of brass tubing (& I've been modding guitars ever since
:p
).

You sure that it's a Silvertone?
Looks more like a kay/harmony/teisco (or just about any other store brand of the era) to me.
As I recall, mine was labeled a Harmony.

P.S. This is a '68 Silvertone:
http://harmony.demont.net/model.php?id=693

Kay, Harmony, Danelectro and Teisco all built Silvertones (Sears store brand) and lots of other store brands, depending on era or model. Sometimes they even outsourced the contract to one of the other companies (at on time Danelectro hired Harmony to build amps for Sear to sell as Silvertones).

• Members

Kay, Harmony, Danelectro and Teisco all built Silvertones (Sears store brand) and lots of other store brands, depending on era or model. Sometimes they even outsourced the contract to one of the other companies (at on time Danelectro hired Harmony to build amps for Sear to sell as Silvertones).

yeah... figured that one out just now :facepalm:

It's just that over nearly 30 years of playing these infernal things, I had never seen a Teisco-made Silvertone. :idk:

• Members

yeah... figured that one out just now
:facepalm:

It's just that over nearly 30 years of playing these infernal things, I had never seen a Teisco-made Silvertone.
:idk:

They took over the student and store brand guitar business around the mid-'60's. Even non-store U.S. brands like Kay and Harmony eventually turned to Teisco and other overseas builders to make their guitars in their final years.

Archived