Brand new guitar and amp, exitement, questions and problems...

Sitnet

• Members

I can't really describe how I feel at the moment. I'm like exited, confused and sad all at the same time. So yesterday I got my first electric guitar (Cort KX5) and my first amp (Roland Cube 20X). So obviously the first thing I did was plug in and play. The amp was devastatingly loud (according to my neighbors).

So later I realized that I have a serious case of fret buzz :cry: So It's basically on all the strings, but worse on the bass side. It doesn't buzz when open either, only when fretted at frets 1 to 4 (Fret 1 is the worst on all the string except A, where 3 is the worst. So I immediately set my Tune-o-matic bridge higher. I then re-tuned and the problem actually seemed to get worse. What the !? :mad: So I fiddled with it and got it to a point where it isn't that bad. But still very annoying.

Here are some photos of the Tune-O-Matic and at what height it is set:

• Members

@ten56gibby and steve_man

take it to a local shop...have it set up properly...

That's the thing man, it is was already set up by a pro Luther ( he signed on the card and everything). But that was like 2 weeks ago and like 1000Km (like 500 miles) away from where I live. Mabye the whether is messing around with the neck? It is perfectly straight though (I used a laser along the side to check).

But I want to see what I can do myself before taking it to a music shop (the nearest one is very far from where I live)

Thanx for the reply man! :thu:

• Members

Man, it could be a number of things. Could be the nut, could be the neck relief, could be the bridge...if you're not experienced, I'd highly recommend that you not mess with it too much, and just have it done locally. Yup, it's very possible that the guitar is "adjusting" to the climate where you live.

• Members

Man, it could be a number of things. Could be the nut, could be the neck relief, could be the bridge...if you're not experienced, I'd highly recommend that you not mess with it too much, and just have it done locally. Yup, it's very possible that the guitar is "adjusting" to the climate where you live.

Ok cool man. I think the last thing I'll try is to put a piece of paper under the nut. ***OH please don't let it be glued!***

• Members

A few things:

Having the high 3mm high at 12th fret and low E 5mm at 12th fret is considered normal. Then people adjust from that upon how high/low they like their action.

If the buzzing is mostly happening on the 4 1st frets, it seems to point to either or both a fret levelling being needed or adjust the neck to give some relief.

The neck doesnt alway need tp be perfectly straight.

You need to find an online set up tutorial, and pay particular attention to neck relief, action & intonation.

You'd need to be DIY minded to attempt the fret levelling if needed.

Good luck!

• Members

Ok DAMN I'm proud of myself! :lol: Sorry I'm not usually not like this but I'm very happy.

First of all, I respect you guys, but I am a little hard headed, so I didn't follow your advice. I went ahead and adjusted the truss rod with success! The buzz is almost completely gone. I loosened the truss rod a little more than a quarter turn and it was just enough. My action is still like 2-3 mm. That action is good for me, my steel string acoustic is like 5mm (my fingers still pain of that thing)

Yipee! :)

• Members

Ok DAMN I'm proud of myself!
:lol:
Sorry I'm not usually not like this but I'm very happy.

First of all, I respect you guys, but I am a little hard headed, so I didn't follow your advice. I went ahead and adjusted the truss rod with success! The buzz is almost completely gone. I loosened the truss rod a little more than a quarter turn and it was just enough. My action is still like 2-3 mm. That action is good for me, my steel string acoustic is like 5mm (my fingers still pain of that thing)

Yipee!
:)

I was going to suggest that. I'm no expert (very far from it...I only recently learned how to do this myself and I'm still not very good at it) but one thing that stood out in your previous post is you said the neck was perfectly straight. That's not how it should be. It should have a very slight bow inward. When you loosened the truss you gave it the slight curve it needed and problem was solved. :thu:

• Members

:thu:

He may have signed the card friend but it doesn't sound like your guitar got a setup or that the guy was a pro.

Seriously, I know it'll be a pain in the butt for you to do but find a PRO and get that guitar setup right.

1) You are just starting out and may have a very nice guitar but it'll never reach its potential without a good setup. This is true for all guitars... both inexpensive and ridiculously costly.

2) Since you have still to learn what "right" feels like, it's best to have it done by a pro. As soon as it gets back to you, take measurements and if you want to, pictures of everything. In the future, when your guitar needs a tweak or you've reached a point where you want to explore your own preferences in a setup, you'll at least know how to put things back to how they were and you'll know how it's supposed to feel.

3) Turn down the damn amp. Pissed off neighbors are never good news. Try to find a time when you can dime that puppy without bothering anyone.

4) Congratulations on your new gear and enjoy! Welcome to HCEG.

TIP: If you post pictures of your new gear, we in turn post pictures of girls with nice knockers as a way of saying congratulations!

Archived