Least irritating songs to Jam to at GC?

Beckman

• Members

I hear a lot about what songs everyone is sick of hearing at GC. What songs are less irritating?

Edit: Just in case this thread keeps going. I am not looking for songs for me to play. I am looking more for songs do you not think "not this f...ing song again". Again, not for me as I play whatever I feel like. I just see a lot of people complain about certain songs being played, like Enter Sandman and Stairway to Heaven, etc. This is just out of curiosity. Thanks!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Personally, I love to hear a repetitive metal riff played through a dimed Marshall Valvestate amp on the gain channel. If you could pull that off then everyone would know that you belong there.

Don't forget to play it in Drop D than tuned a whole step down. Make sure you play it on as many guitars as possible and whatever you do don't tune it back to standard tuning. Everyone will love you.

• Members

I actually was just curious. I usually play low, and random, or obscure songs of local bands. I was just curious what was acceptable as far a mainstream. I personally do not care what anyone plays as long as they do not crank it, and suck.

I hear people like to hear Stairway to Heaven a lot.

But, seriously, is there anything no one minds hearing?

I was actually in one where this little 8 year old kid was playing a PRS custom or something, through a Marshall stack, cranked. But, all he was doing was strumming a string or two and wiggling the trem bar, a staring right at anyone in eyesight with a blank "what are you going to do look on his face". It was so irritating. But, I think he was the son of someone famous, at least locally, because no one said anything to him, and the sales guys were following the dad around like puppies.

• Members

Personally, I love to hear a repetitive metal riff played through a dimed Marshall Valvestate amp on the gain channel. If you could pull that off then everyone would know that you belong there.

I love it when people do that. :cop:

• Members

I really don't mind what anybody is playing as long as they keep it at a somewhat reasonable volume. I do my thing, they can do theirs, whether it be death metal or cranking Fall Out Boy. I don't think most people care what anyone is doing as long as it isn't deafening.

• Members

I actually was just curious. I usually play low, and random, or obscure songs of local bands. I was just curious what was acceptable as far a mainstream. I personally do not care what anyone plays as long as they do not crank it, and suck.

Actually, I don't even care if people suck. As long as they don't crank it, it's fine. People are at different skill levels and particularly at a place like GC you're going to get all kinds of kids who haven't played long or are just starting. It's unavoidable and understandable. I just take it as a good thing that people are learning to play at all.

• Members

Why would anyone go to "jam" at GC in the first place? You're there to try gear. For that it's not really necessary to play anything resembling a song.

OK, wrong word. But, people sit down and play loud to "try" gear they have no intention of buying a lot. Including myself.

The only reason for the post is I have seen on several occasions where people on here dog others for playing Stairway, Sandman, etc. I was just curious if there were popular songs no one cared about. Like, Dani California or Crazy Train?

Again, I could care less what they play, just don't crank it (and suck).

• Members

I don't care if they suck, I suck. But, turning the Marshall amps way up and playing like crap is irritating. That is why I keep it low. I have seem people trying to out do eachother. One would turn up the volume, then the other would turn theirs louder, etc. Then I can't hear myself. It makes me want to leave.

That's basically the quintessential GC experience right there.

• Members

I actually went to GC a few weeks ago specifically to try out some amps to see what might work for me. They were all Fenders and the GC in Chicago has a room that is just Fender guitars and amps. I had just plugged a Tele into a DRRI when this guy comes in, plugs a Tele into one of the little Champ 600s, cranks it, and proceeds to play blues riffs for 45 minutes. Pissed me off. I tried to just wander around and try out other things until he was done so I could demo the amps, but after 45 minutes I just left because he was still playing the same things over and over. That kind of crap pisses me off more than anything.

• Members

That's basically the quintessential GC experience right there.

Maybe it is not what they play, but how they play. Meaining loud and obnoxious. It's just that they are playing stairway and Sandman because they are new to guitar, and that is what they are learning.

• Members

Maybe it is not what they play, but how they play. Meaining loud and obnoxious. It's just that they are playing stairway and Sandman because they are new to guitar, and that is what they are learning.

Yeah, those volume competitions get old really quickly.

• Members

I suck, so I play softly, just loud enough to hear myself and mostly noodle to get a good feel for the guitar. I guess if I was shopping for was an amp, I'd have to turm it up a lot louder.

I don't mind listening to others play. You can learn from both good and poor players. What's funniest to me is when some kid is playing a tune on one string, usually Smoke on the Water and he turns to his buddy saying... "Yeah, I got that one down pat. I know how to play Smoke on the Water".

• Members

what i would like to hear someone playing at guitar center would be some great jazz, or some prodigy kid on an electric playing some classical Bach, or maybe someone doing a decent attempt at "Pipeline".

• Members

Most the younger guys who go in there don't play well and try to make up for it with distortion and volume. That doesn't make them look good and gives the feel that they are showing off or trying to connect with some other players. Screw that, if you are serious about buying a guitar go in there and play guitar, play it well, listen to it clean at low volume and moderate volume, maybe with some OD but don't blow the walls down. If you just want to show off or play guitars you can't afford to buy, rent one and go find a jam session.

• Members

80% of the time I don't even notice what anyone is playing.

18 % of the time someone is trying to show off, sometimes playing well, mostly being obnoxious.

2% of the time I want to hear more of them...the most recent time a guy was sliding his ass off on a resonator and was just fabulous. 'course, you can't play quietly on a dobro, but he was great, and I wanted him to keep playing.

• Members

If you just want to show off or play guitars you can't afford to buy, rent one and go find a jam session.

I, like many, go there to try out gear so we can plan future purchases. The good thing about GC, is they let you play just about anything with out a lot of pressure. At least at the ones I go to.

I guess this was a bad thread idea. I will stop posting.

• Members

It looks like, from the posts in this thread at least, play what you want, just don't crank it up.

Hey, sorry ... I get your point. Didn't mean to go all armchair psychologist on you. :wave:

I still say ... play what you want AND crank it up. How else ya gonna know?

Archived