Pickguard for classic vibe tele.

doc oc

• Members

Just picked up a used classic vibe tele for a steal. They only come in white as I understand it, but it is a white tele with a maple neck for the uninitiated.

Pickguard is a little scratched up but other than that it is in great shape.

I love the guitar. I'm going to change the pickguard and I'm torn between the standard black which I think looks awesome or something else. Maybe one of those pinup blackguards from greasygroove, tortoise, mint green , parchment...not sure.

I also looked at some engraved hardware but everything I have run into has been outlandishly priced.

Suggestions?

Pictures would be greatly appreciated if you have em..

Also, are these the standard fender pattern or do I need to order the pickguard undrilled?

• Members

Gorgeous. Is that a filtertron?

What does the middle position sound like with this setup? (I know it's hard to describe)

The neck pickup on my CV is a Kent Armstrong Vintage 12N. The bridge is a BG T-90. I have 3 settings for the neck pickup series/split/parallel. Each sounds great mixed with the bridge pickup.

• Members

Most should - just go gently. If it's really rough, use some double sided tape to hold it fast to a flat surface, then wet-sand with some 1200-1600 grit wet-n-dry paper on a sanding block to get an even surface. But an auto buffing compound should work nicely on plastic, all of them just make finer and finer scratches until it blends into a shiny surface. Even toothpaste can get a decent shine.

Actually - that's probably your first option, just get a cloth and buff the surface out with some toothpaste (maybe twice as much as you'd put on your brush). Keep at it for a while, it'll get steadily better.

• Members

Do you know of a buffing compound that would work well on plastic?

Nope... not for sure. But if it's already as hideous as you describe, it's only worthy of throwing away at this point anyway.

Not as advice, but I'd use the absolute LEAST aggressive compound they have. Probably red/rouge. Actually, I'd probably see what a good car product would do first... I have something called Klasse which is a relatively high tech product. I wouldn't suggest is per se as it's like $18 for a little bottle, but it did a spectacular job at filling in swirl marks on my ex wife's black Jetta. But it's completely non-abrasive so I doubt it would be the ideal product.

Archived