How can I increase bass response in a speaker cab?

SnoMan97

• Members

Increase bass responce without replaceing speaker? Not really. However you can tighten up what bass responce it can get and somewhat tame harsh treble by adding acoustic insulation to the inside of the cab. Bottom, back and both sides. Ive found high loft polyester batting excellent acoustinc insulation for various speakers that either didnt have any or which lacked anything of qaulity. Youd want to use at least 1/2 inch layer preferably more like an inch thick without squishing it down.

If its a sealed cab with no port, porting it will only help if the speaker is designed to work well in ported and you do the port correctly.

• Members

One way to make a small box appear acoutically larger to the driver in it is to stuff it with insulation. I've used the cheap stuff you can buy at Walmart in the hobby/sewing department. Fiberfill, I think it's called. By varying how much you put in the box, you can tonally change how it sounds in the low end.

• Members

Short of buying a new speaker, is there any way I can increase bass response in a 1x12 cab? The one I use a church lacks a bit in bottom end.

You can take the speaker out and try a dummy face with a smaller hole. 10" for a 12" speaker. I got a lot more bass that way on small speakers cabs.

Check out this all pine cab I made for a 1 x 12" The hole was tuned for max bass.

Archived