So I scored a USA Strat for $381.00 ... too good to be true.

HanSolo

• Members

Don't post the seller's name or personal info online. Yes, he's an asshole, but this is a business matter - and a very minor one at that. Be a good businessman, smile and keep the shotgun where it belongs - under the table, out of sight and pointed directly at the other guy's nuts.

Depending on where you are in Paypal's claim process, they may want you to supply more info.

Get your camera and take pics of everything - the guitar, the packaging, the shipping label. Use the pics to point out the differences between the guitar he advertised and what you got. Don't assume that the Paypal people know anything about guitars. Either download or screencap the actual auction page. Make sure you get the pics from the auction. Indicate in your comments that you have this documentation and will supply it as needed.

If PP makes you return the item, call them, tell them of your suspicion, and ask how you can best prove that the item you returned was the one in dispute.

I got scammed by an HC member about a month ago and got a full refund from Paypal. Of course, I didn't have to worry about returning anything because I never got it in the first place. I was polite and businesslike about it, and in the meantime gathered some very interesting, and potentially very very useful info about the seller - who was attempting to run several other scams on the net. Got my money back and hopefully kept a few other people from being taken.

• Moderators

As much as you'd like that to be, it won't happen. You have to ship it back (whether it's at your expense or not) and provide Paypal with a valid tracking number when it's in a "claim" status.

I'd rather just ship it back and be out the shipping fee than the whole $381.

Ebay are pretty automatic these days, as above you simply ship it back with a tracking number and Ebay/Paypal reverses the financial transaction.

He has no choice in the matter

• Members

ITEM SPECIFICS

Brand: Fender USA

When you sell a Strat on ebay, it prompts you for a bunch of information. One of the pieces is manufacturer. The options are Fender USA or enter your own (or something similar). Sounds like he just took the default option from ebay. The rest of the ad makes it clear it's not American.

He says "Standard" stratocaster, which is Mexican. He lists the original price at $600, which is too low to be American. He refused to give you better pictures and his feedback was sketchy at best.

Sounds it wasn't what was advertised, but there were a lot of red flags in that auction.

• Members

Yeah. You really should have known better on this one dude. Not to rub salt in the wound, but no pics and a description that clearly is not describing an MIA model? Come on, you're smarter than that.

Lesson learned, I hope.

I know, I took the guy at his word. The board was down and I was hot to go. I emailed that the description was for a MIM Strat and he said, "I know, it was all I could find. It is a made in USA model."

Here is the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180440725512

Seller emailed my apologetically saying he doesn;t know anything about guitars and picked it up at a "swap meet" and thought it was the real thing ... We have agreed to full refund. He still thinks it's a USA so I told him take to GC and let the boys have some laughs.

I'll post some pics first chance I get.

• Members

Dude, the guy had 3 ebay transactions and only one (tiny) pic was posted. What did you expect?

I'll have to echo that. I've seen some really nice deals go by that looked too good to be true, all from users with little feedback, and bad photo's and description.

If I missed out on the real deal, then so be it. But in the end I don't want to get scammed.

Archived