New GAS Attack - Wolfgang

Beckman

• Members

:facepalm:

I really am getting GAS for a Wolfgang. I would never pay for the Fender version at $2,900. I have been looking for a Solo (I won't say shredder, because I won't shred with it) type guitar. It has all I want in a new guitar: Maple neck, carved top, two hums, I can deal with the floyd (maybe). And, I like the looks, which is a large part of getting a new guitar. I really like the feel of the neck on the Enie Ball and Peavey version, I have not felt the Fender version yet. I do like the Fender looks the best though.

My only issue is the nut width. I can not play 1 5/8" nut widths. I just can't do it. It drives me nuts. :facepalm: No pun intended. I also am not a huge fan of Floyds. They work well, I am just too lazy. I may have to go custom shop, or make my own. I have been wanting make a guitar anyway.

Here are a couple of obligatory pics.

581904.jpg

581900.jpg

00581380_2.jpg

Anyone else dig these? Theres one for sale in the SPAM thread. But, they have that narrower nut.

• Members

You could save a lot of coin by getting a used Peavey version. You can even get them with a stoptail instead of a Floyd.

I really like your goldtop. Maybe I could get one, and then get a new neck someday. Getting a used one is a great idea.

• Members

Maybe a Carvin Contour 66? - I think they're kinda similar - direct mounted HBs, graphite reinforced neck, 25.5" scale. Not sure about the nut width, but it might be wider than a Wolf, which is on the narrow side.

Yeah, but I really like the looks of this. Looks, I hate to admit, is a huge part of picking a guitar. I think that is the first thing that draws us in. For me:

1) Looks

2) Feel

3) Sound (you can always change the pups)

I have to like all 3 to pull the trigger. That is the order that I choose on though. I will not sacrifice one for the other.

• Members
You can get hardtail Peavey Wolfgangs on eBay. As for the nut width, I don't know how I can help you on that...

Maybe I could get used to it, or not play any open chords with it. :idk:

I could just make one, or get one and get a custom built neck.

It's odd I don't have large hands, I am 5' 8", but my hand feels cramped when playing open chords. I sold my MIM strat for this reason. But, I had an alternative there.

• Members
Maybe I could get used to it, or not play any open chords with it.
:idk:

I could just make one, or get one and get a custom built neck.

It's odd I don't have large hands, I am 5' 8", but my hand feels cramped when playing open chords. I sold my MIM strat for this reason. But, I had an alternative there.

I think Warmoth makes a Wolfgang shaped neck that you could put on another guitar :idk:

• Members
I think Warmoth makes a Wolfgang shaped neck that you could put on another guitar
:idk:

You are right, they do. I could get a paddle headstock and cut it myself. I really like the feel of the neck. Maybe it is the satin finish, but i just feels nice.

• Members

the pregnant bottom part on the body.

ive been thinkin of cuttin my own to but i think i should pick one up on ebay so i have a template for the headstock.

that swirl thing at the edge of the headstock looks like a bitch to do

• Members

I've got the Wolfgang profile with a 1 11/16" nut width on both of my Warmoths. I love it.

That said, try to find a Wolfgang to play. Yeah, it's 1 5/8" at the nut, but the neck has enough beef to it that it may feel good to you. Ultimately, I prefer the Warmoth necks with the wider nut and the Wolfgang profile, but I don't have any trouble at all with the real deal Wolfgang necks either.

• Members

Yeah, unless you have to have the minty-new goodness there are PLENTY out there for 1/3 the cost of a new one.

I don't care about new. They are only new until you open the box. Then they get dinged up, dusty, etc. Most of the ones I saw, look pretty good.

Archived