why we hate djs

pilk

• Members

I've got nothing against DJ's, but they really do think they deserve way more credit than they actually deserve.

They serve a purpose.
:idk:

But the idea that they are original artists, and that they somehow create something original is laughable. I can't take guitar riffs from my favorite songs and say I've created something original. Certainly neither can a DJ who is just taking the audio off the recording and not even really playing anything.

Tell this to Kid Rock...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you are a 'musician', how many raging parties would you want to drag the whole bands {censored} into? Standing room only, people dancing, yelling, spilling. -I wouldn't.

I'll play a show. So will the good DJs. Why would it be any other way?

So there are arrogant DJs, big surprise. If you feel insecure about a recorded song being played for people, that's your problem. A good band is in the moment - feeling, expressing on another level. What the hell's the problem? :poke:

Broaden your horizons. Push the limits. Be happy.

• Members

I personally am not against DJ's. But if someone wants to see ACDC, they won't settle for a DJ playing their record, or a cover band playing their songs. If someone wants to SEE U2, they won't settle for less. They are well suited for parties because they can easily, cheaply play what the audience wants to hear. They have a place in the market, that's something like a cover band.

It just so happens to be that as a DJ, it's so much easier to make a party, because it takes a lot less skill to make acceptable music. But they are not a musician. If they mess with the song, then they are a musician, and then their talent, or lack of it, will show most. If they make it sound like a random mess, they obviously aren't that good. If they can, however, make something new, that's good, that's talent, and being a musician. Just because you don't like rap, which is what they will almost certainly be playing if they mess with songs, doesn't mean they CANT be good DJs. It's like saying just 'cause you don't like jazz means that a jazz band can't be good. It's a sign of ignorance.

• Members

I love shooting holes in stuff (See AR-15 in my avatar :D ). Understand that I dont hate DJs.... there are good ones and bad ones, and each of those can be cool people or assholes; attributes that can be found anywhere

Very well said
:thu:
!

Thats interesting.......

• Members

im a dj. i hate most of us too! now a days its the technology involved makes it so easy for anyone to get the right equip and call themselves a dj no matter how good they are. its like if you could buy all the gear/uniform, etc of an nfl player, and just because you have the right equip you are allowed to play professional football horribly! my 2 cents....

• Members

I'm a musician that's getting into DJing but I'm only in it for the support and expansion of the genre of music that I create and into which is HOUSE. In that regard, the DJ's I know have been really helpful in giving me pointers and opening my eyes to the entertainment aspect of being a DJ.

I have no intentions of doing weddings, or other "general" purpose DJ stuff. My sole intention is to bring mostly underground dance music to those that want off the mainstream. In this regard, I think DJ's are very important.

Most know that it isn't about them but moving the crowd with the choices of music they present and the style in which they present them.

Some are often humbled by a bad gig when they think it's about them and not the music but IMHO, you should know a DJ by what kind of music he or she spins. This is the defining factor that draws a crowd to a venue.

I think there would be a lot of "better (people)" DJ's if they kept that in mind. ;)

• Members

I'm not some closed-minded babyboomer fogey who plays guitar and only likes classic rock...I actually know DJs.

First it's unfair to paint DJs with a single brush. There's wedding DJs, there's radio DJs, there's DJs who mix tunes at dance clubs, there's the hip-hop DJ who employs turntable skillz and backs up a rapper.

All have different skills and purposes.

That being said, I have far more respect for a turntablist DJ who is mixing and manipulating existing music and making it into their own creation, than some trendy big-name dance DJ who releases a CD mix of other people's music but has his name and face on the cover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm not some closed-minded babyboomer fogey who plays guitar and only likes classic rock...I actually know DJs.

First it's unfair to paint DJs with a single brush. There's wedding DJs, there's radio DJs, there's DJs who mix tunes at dance clubs, there's the hip-hop DJ who employs turntable skillz and backs up a rapper.

All have different skills and purposes.

That being said, I have far more respect for a turntablist DJ who is mixing and manipulating existing music and making it into their own creation, than some trendy big-name dance DJ who releases a CD mix of other people's music but has his name and face on the cover.

Finally, somebody who gets it. I think that's why DJ Babu came up with the term "turntablist", because he was sick of people associating him with Paul Oakendood and wedding DJs. Playing records is not making music. Mixing is not making music, its arranging music.

Scratching IS playing music.

See this

ttm.php?ttsl=0,0:S,2,4,0:O,2,-4,0:S,4,8,

That's called scratch notation. It's how DJs share cross-fader and record movement in written form.

See this

[YOUTUBE] [/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE] [/YOUTUBE]

That's called {censored}ting on people who say DJs can't be musicians.

The thing is, the ONLY way you can make those songs is with scratching. You can't make that with a guitar, bass, & drums. That's not copying, that's not playing other people's songs, that's musical expansion. I know it's hard for some people to wrap their head around this stuff because it's not simpleton but it's crazy how so many people are happy being ignorant and wrong.

• Members

That's called {censored}ting on people who say DJs can't be musicians.

The thing is, the ONLY way you can make those songs is with scratching. You can't make that with a guitar, bass, & drums. That's not copying, that's not playing other people's songs, that's musical expansion. I know it's hard for some people to wrap their head around this stuff because it's not simpleton but it's crazy how so many people are happy being ignorant and wrong.

See? This I totally agree with...this is where DJing becomes an art.

(although there are a few guitar players that can do a very reasonable scratch facsimile with pick-slides, hand -wipes, and pickup selector manipulation :D)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Am I seriously hearing people comparing DJ's to sound engineers? Find me one DJ who knows how to properly use an EQ, compressor or crossover...go ahead, I dare you to find one...Most DJ's couldnt mix a drink, let alone a band!

Most DJs Ive had at venues when I'm looking after overall sound are absolutely {censored} when it comes to even getting a good sound out of a PA - never mind actually doing a decent production job / live mix job - the reason is they fail utterly in grasping even the most basic concepts of live sound.

This isnt suprising - if you have ever been in a DJ booth, then you will know often that is about the worst place in the house to hear what the dance floor sound is like for all sorts of reasons - often the nearer speakers are facing away from you, so all you head from the house is ambience laden mush with every bass mode in the room hammering in your little corner - so you have booth monitors which are usually very different to the house sound anyway.

Also the house PA is often driven close to its limits whereas the booth monitor are not, so you arnt aware of distortion in the house - even more the case if like me you prefer to mix on my own known cans (because at least I know what a track is supposed to sound like on them, and so I know if the frequency balance and/or levels over a mix is uneven etc.

The end result, your average DJ learns about sound more or less completely divorced from the sound they are making and therefore learns pretty much nothing.

At the other end of the scale are folks like myself who are writers/producers first and DJs second. These guys are often pretty good sound engineers within the context of the kinds of sounds they work with.

They probably arnt the best people in the world to handle the processing and mixing of accoustic singer/songwriter types, but they definately know how to severely shape sounds with EQs, compressors, expanders etc and keep the result reasonably balanced with further EQ and compression.

On the other hand, I wouldn't generally want a sound engineer who just excels in accoustic work mixing and processing my music.

DJs (and often gigging band members) often suffer from translation if playing live alot, then come back to the studio and work on near fields as you gets used to how music sounds in various floor/booth monitors and/or on your cans/ear monitors - I used my own cans all the time to try and minimise this, but it still takes a while to adjust back, so often mixes done before I have adjusted can sound quite odd when I go back to them later.

• Members

Am I seriously hearing people comparing DJ's to sound engineers? Find me one DJ who knows how to properly use an EQ, compressor or crossover...go ahead, I dare you to find one...Most DJ's couldnt mix a drink, let alone a band!

Who compared a DJ to a sound engineer?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Its real easy to play records and you are somehow fooling yourself into thinking you are highly skilled artists. Or you are just lying to sell yourself. You take all the money that used to be paid to people who can actually do something and love music enough to learn how to play it.

As singer/songwriter/DJ I can say DJing is an art form. There many kinds of DJ's. Knowing what song to play after another requires you know about tempo/timing and themes of hundreds of recordings. Still the information alone does not make the DJ. It takes a talent just like playing an instrument.

• Members

As singer/songwriter/DJ I can say DJing is an art form. There many kinds of DJ's. Knowing what song to play after another requires you know about tempo/timing and themes of hundreds of recordings. Still the information alone does not make the DJ. It takes a talent just like playing an instrument.

But there are certain types of bands that do this as well.........Listening to each other and seguewaying song-to-song on-the-fly with songs of similar grooves/patterns/BPMs to keep the dancefloor full....I agree, its an art, but its not relegated to just DJs..................

• Members

Its real easy to play records and you are somehow fooling yourself into thinking you are highly skilled artists.

Or you are just lying to sell yourself.

You take all the money that used to be paid to people who can actually do something and love music enough to learn how to play it.

Hating djs is stupid.

Not everyone wants to hear a band at a club, much less your band. Some people want to dance to well produced music.

All this dj hate is stupid. If you can't handle that some people enjoy dj music more than yours:rawk::badump:, Suck it.

• Members

Right here.:wave:

• Members

Sorry, but I don't even see a conflict here. DJ/KJs do what they do where there isn't enough money for a Band. They're just filling that market, and the Bands are where there's more money.

DJs aren't taking Gigs from Musicians/Soundmen.

Why hate?

Geez, next thing you'll be saying you hate the african drummers and those that stamp their feet to make music. I am a DJ myself, and yes, there are levels to a professional DJ, one is the lower end, just cross fading and playing songs, but what I've come to know it's not how you play.....it's what you play. I agree with Marko in the sence that we ARE fulling a market where a band cant be afforded.

Lets face it, Bands aren't as versatile in playing music the client wants. They can be pretty good - but not AS versatile as a DJ. I love live music myself, but when playing Disco,Classic Rock to Todays music, you cant replace what music people are familiar with. Can you train a monkey to DJ?? Most probably, but as said before, it's about WHAT music you play, not how you play it.

At the end of the day, Bands, DJ's and African Drummers are providing the public with entertainment, none are better than the other,and to say one is means your either ignorant to the fact people love variety and everyone's different. To be a top-end DJ means years of practicing and KNOWING your songs inside out, perhaps the same amount of time would be required to be a top guitarist or drummer. So I dont think there's anyt merit in this 'Why We Hate DJ's' forum - UNLESS.....your finding it frustrating that functions are hiring DJ's over you, which in that case - as the saying goes, 'When you cant beat'em, join'em'

• Members

Geez, next thing you'll be saying you hate the african drummers and those that stamp their feet to make music. I am a DJ myself, and yes, there are levels to a professional DJ, one is the lower end, just cross fading and playing songs, but what I've come to know it's not how you play.....it's what you play. I agree with Marko in the sence that we ARE fulling a market where a band cant be afforded.

Lets face it, Bands aren't as versatile in playing music the client wants. They can be pretty good - but not AS versatile as a DJ. I love live music myself, but when playing Disco,Classic Rock to Todays music, you cant replace what music people are familiar with. Can you train a monkey to DJ?? Most probably, but as said before, it's about WHAT music you play, not how you play it.

At the end of the day, Bands, DJ's and African Drummers are providing the public with entertainment, none are better than the other,and to say one is means your either ignorant to the fact people love variety and everyone's different. To be a top-end DJ means years of practicing and KNOWING your songs inside out, perhaps the same amount of time would be required to be a top guitarist or drummer. So I dont think there's anyt merit in this 'Why We Hate DJ's' forum - UNLESS.....your finding it frustrating that functions are hiring DJ's over you, which in that case - as the saying goes, 'When you cant beat'em, join'em'

...and this I also agree with. Well said...except for one part: The main difference that I see between a lot of bands and a lot of DJs is that bands will generally lean towards playing what they want to play as opposed to be really interested in what the crowds really want to hear. This is something that seasoned DJs are definitely good at and attuned to

Many musicians that I know will immediately say "No" if I mention the words "rap", "booty music", "line dance" or "learn this new popular punk tune" and they can be very 1-Dimensional about it...and getting people set in their ways to learn something outside-their-box can be like going to the dentist for root canal

Its one of the reasons why my bands have been great money-making successes...being open-minded to anything and everything.......

using sequencers for extra loops, hits, keyboards, and "drop" bass/kick and being able to cover Club DJ-material in a live band setting always set my band(s) apart

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

as the saying goes, variety is the spice of life. You see it with Linkin Park with bass/accustic/synths/etc etc - and I class them as a badn that every album they've made has been somethign different.

The wedding season here and us DJ's are booked out. Hope your getting your money's worth there DevilRays....I have a Home Garden wedding to contend with this weekend....and for some reason, I find these are the best types.

• Members

as the saying goes, variety is the spice of life. You see it with Linkin Park with bass/accustic/synths/etc etc - and I class them as a badn that every album they've made has been somethign different.

The wedding season here and us DJ's are booked out. Hope your getting your money's worth there DevilRays....I have a
Home Garden
wedding to contend with this weekend....and for some reason, I find these are the best types.

I say, lets all get the money while we can before Sony releases "DJ" (along with "Rock Band" and "Guitar Hero") to put everybody out of work..... :(

• Members

Man, all the butt hurt "musicians" who hate DJs are hilarious. They probably suck at what they do and thus feel insecure. Bands and DJs are equally (in different fashions) valuable. :wave:

I want to see all the "musicians" on here hating DJs behind a turn table and do a good job. -Cause it's just so easy...

And, I want to see "DJs" who think musicians suck pick up a guitar and make something even resembling music.

Archived