why we hate djs

pilk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just about anybody who has been in a road band has DJ prejudice, because of so many arrogant club DJ's who think bands open up for THEM. But I don't think those kind hang out here. This forum, I'm sure, consists of musicians- like several I know personally- who DJ and KJ on the side. I will graciously allow that there's nothing wrong with that.

But I got an idea from this thread- I'm gonna go to the Keyboard forum and troll about how I hate synths! At least until Gus hits me over the head with his keytar...

Wrong forum - if you want to troll the most anti-DJ crowd - try the guitar and bass forums, though TBH KSS has alot of rock band players too.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

ur all a bunch of whinging old grannys in the great words of Chopper Ried harden the #UCK up . if u dont like what we do then go else where make ur music better get our crouds thus our income and prove what ur sayin is true . good on ya makin music is hard so what true mixing is bloody hard too and mybe all u old farts arent realising that 70% of the younger generation prefer dance music over ur red neck kneee slappin hill billy im gonna root my granny up the sh1tta and lick the sweat off her back crap . and the crouds r payin for our more upbeat fun more social music beceause they want to so shut the #uck up and move on to annoy some one else maybe a retirement village would be a good start .

• Members

for me a good DJ should be able to:

- mix records seamlessly into each other

- retain what makes the original track great

- grasp what the audience is enjoying and tailor the set towards that

- pace the set accordingly

The fact is most of your local club DJ's can't do any of the above and these are the people giving DJing a bad name.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Its real easy to play records and you are somehow fooling yourself into thinking you are highly skilled artists.

Or you are just lying to sell yourself.

You take all the money that used to be paid to people who can actually do something and love music enough to learn how to play it.

I agree!

Playing the drums takes no skill either because all you have to do is hit a stick against a skin. Anyone can do that, right? I mean my 3 year old niece can beat a drum. Drummers are not highly skilled artists. All they are doing is waving their hands around making banging sounds while the real artists are laying down licks on their Fender Strats. Drummers shouldn't even get paid because all they are doing is distracting from my wicked guitar solo!

Your ignorance is astounding. I am not sure what kind of DJs you have been listening to but beatmatching and mixing does require real skill. I am sure you are really just jealous that guys like me are taking all the money and the girls from guys like you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Most musicians hate DJs because we can make more money in one night than a 5 piece band!

Most band members are lucky to clear $75 for a gig.

I walk away from my typical gigs with $900 and its all for one person!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The only time I hate a DJ is when they are on their exlcusive trcks yelling thinks at the top of their lungs, or when they have to "bring it back" and they rewind an ordinary line over and over again.

I think that those problems are more apt for Rap DJ's.

Besides that DJs are cool. I know a couple local DJs were always willing to spin local artists when they got the chance. Nothing wrong with that kind of exposure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

From a previous thread:

In a band, the DJ:

Makes noises that detract from my enjoyment of the performance.

Displaces a musician who might add to my enjoyment of the performance.

Gives the mixperson a distorted signal, which, after being turned down to a proper level, creeps up over the course of the night to the same distorted level.

In a club, the DJ:

Plays a bunch of crap I don't like, even if the club has live bands who play tunes I do like.

Displaces musicians who might add to my enjoyment of my evening out.

Plays the system too loud, with too much treble, and often distorted to boot.

i disagree with the general point of this thread...

but Dj's out there (obviously not all of you or the good one, but many...)

please, PLEASE turn the harsh highs and high mids down.

It just sounds bad and painful.

Not hating, (DJs are cool and do a cool thing) but im a guy who plays in a band, is constantly around loud music and make it, but those highs are painful ear killers and make the music much less enjoyable...and i hear this ALL THE TIME. Like a good 90% of Djs I hear.

also like the guy said dont distort your gear, that is also terrible and makes you look bad ;-)

• Members

DJing is indeed an art, in my opinion. You can't just scratch and mix carelessly and expect people in a party to rock and dance till they drop. Just like anything else, there are good and bad DJs - no matter how you define one - but that doesn't mean (all) DJs are crap.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I like DJs.

Ok, maybe I don't always like the music they play but I like that my DJ friends have my back when I get a call for a wedding or other private function.

Client: "We want you guys to play 'the Macarena', 'Electric Slide', 'Cupid Shuffle' that kind of stuff."

Me: "Let me give you the number for my friend DJ George." :)

I've gotten some good referrals from local DJs and even shared a few gigs with them.

• Members

Ive had similar relationships with DJs...I also had bad ones

I was in a sequencer guitar-bass-drums-computer trio between 2002-06. We played a LOT of booty music, thanks to the sequencer. The sequences had all the extra keys, stabs, loops, horns, and - most importantly - all the 808,909, and SP1200 drop/boom. Sometimes I would sample straight off the CDs (like doing Hot In Heere by Nelly, I sampled the fem vox section). We did music like Yeah by Usher, Coolios version of Fantastic Voyage,we did old school crap like Tic Tac Toe, etc and PACKED dancefloors. Some stuff we did without the sequencer like Ton Loc, Play That Funky Music, and Rage Against The Machine. DJs absolutely HATED us, because we were doing the music that they thought they were only privvy to AND doing it in a live band context. Yes, that band was immensely popular in my area and yeah we made a lot of cash

One DJ at a club in Leesburg really liked us. We worked well together and when the band started we mixed into his last song and vice-versa. That was cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok, I will take my shot at this, having read two (2) of the most recent posts.

Why a DJ is not a trained cockroach.

Orchesteras, Bands, DJs, jugglers, comedians and the like are all entertainers. The entertainment form is different though both are musical.

A DJ does not need to take breaks.

A DJ can pick and choose from thousands of songs instead of a very few songs on a rehearsed playlist.

The songs played are the very best version the band produced after much hard work with studio production and post work.

The bands and musicians played by the DJ are more talented than the average cover band.

DJs are generally more affordable and can reach more people.

DJs can bob their heads in time with the music.

DJs bring large amps and speakers and colorful lights and know how to use them.

DJs read a crowd to keep them dancing and emcee events, using a microphone for more than screaming.

DJs create music and mix tunes and drop samples and use effects to change the base product into something original.

DJs can take more requests than the average band.

DJs and Bands are two different things. Both have fun. Both make music. Both entertain people. But one plays stringed instruments and percussion instruments and horned instruments, keyboards and sings and the other plays electronic instruments with buttons and wheels and knobs and switches and talks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok, I will take my shot at this, having read two (2) of the most recent posts.

Why a DJ is not a trained cockroach.

Orchesteras, Bands, DJs, jugglers, comedians and the like are all entertainers. The entertainment form is different though both are musical.

A DJ does not need to take breaks.

A DJ can pick and choose from thousands of songs instead of a very few songs on a rehearsed playlist.

The songs played are the very best version the band produced after much hard work with studio production and post work.

The bands and musicians played by the DJ are more talented than the average cover band.

DJs are generally more affordable and can reach more people.

DJs can bob their heads in time with the music.

DJs bring large amps and speakers and colorful lights and know how to use them.

DJs read a crowd to keep them dancing and emcee events, using a microphone for more than screaming.

DJs create music and mix tunes and drop samples and use effects to change the base product into something original.

DJs can take more requests than the average band.

DJs and Bands are two different things. Both have fun. Both make music. Both entertain people. But one plays stringed instruments and percussion instruments and horned instruments, keyboards and sings and the other plays electronic instruments with buttons and wheels and knobs and switches and talks.

Very well said :thu:!

• Members

I've got nothing against DJ's, but they really do think they deserve way more credit than they actually deserve.

They serve a purpose. :idk:

But the idea that they are original artists, and that they somehow create something original is laughable. I can't take guitar riffs from my favorite songs and say I've created something original. Certainly neither can a DJ who is just taking the audio off the recording and not even really playing anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

But the idea that they are original artists, and that they somehow create something original is laughable.

DJs are part of a strange organization. It is a Hegelian Triad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Wilhelm_Friedrich_Hegel

They take something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue... no wait, that is a wedding. But then I am a wedding dj...

Archived