Ibanez rg570 Is it worth it?

FarToMany

• Members

I found a used RG570 locally for $200. It seems like a decent price, its a little beat looking, but if it is a player it seems good from what little i have read about them. So is it worth it? i have zero experience with any Ibanez guitars except for my acoustic, but they have caught my eye lately. Opinions?

• Members

ibanez guitars always have the potential to play really nice/fast if they're set up ok...i like they way they feel most of the time...they tend sound a bit artificial though most of the rg's...they're pretty much designed to be super destorted...

but they do play nice...awesome practice guitar if the necks not bent...

• Members

my ibanez rg350 has an amazing sound clean from the neck pickup. Not in my hands, but when my cousin plays it :lol:

it has the infinity series pickups. A month and a half ago i had no ibanez guitars. I own 5 now.

Love them.

edit: also my first experience with a floyd type bridge. if you don't use the trem, don't buy one! setups are so much easier on hardtails.

• Members

I think i decided to pass on it for now, it is a japan '03 model, but needs a desperate setup, has alot of fret wear, needs both pots, and 5-way replaced, needs a trem arm and both knobs, and in general a good cleanup. I'd have probably another $100 give or take into it after i was done, and the thing would still look rough like C.C. Deville. If it was $150, i might have bit on it, but not right now, i have far to many guitars that dont get their just time playing now.

• Members

C.C. wasn't an Ibanez guy. He was a B.C. Rich guy. I'm sure he did have some Ibanezes, but he's best known for his B.C. Riches.

With those issues, I would have haggled em down to $150 and been thrilled with it. Of course, I hate that neck.. The Wizard neck is too thin for my hand, cramps it up. Great guitars if you can get along with the necks.

• Members

I have to say I would go for it. They have a bad rep in some parts, but the MIJ 570's are great.

My MIJ 89 570 is a great guitar, the only mods are replacement humbuckers (DiMarzio PAF pro's). It's very versatile and a lot of fun to play. The neck is fine for me (even though my favourite neck at the moment is the very baseball bat-like one on my Yamaha AES620).

$200 is a great deal...

Steve

• Members

If the fret wear is a problem I would pass. I have a '91 RG760 that I love, but if had to replace it I could get a new guitar that would cost about the same as it would cost you to get the frets and other things fixed on that guitar, the way you described it.

• Members

C.C. wasn't an Ibanez guy. He was a B.C. Rich guy. I'm sure he did have some Ibanezes, but he's best known for his B.C. Riches.

With those issues, I would have haggled em down to $150 and been thrilled with it. Of course, I hate that neck.. The Wizard neck is too thin for my hand, cramps it up. Great guitars if you can get along with the necks.

Check out the 'Swallow This Live' concert video if you can find it. He plays an Ibanez through the entire show (a blue RG570, if I remember correctly).

• Members

Why is the bridge worth so much?

Probably because it is an original Edge, which isn't available on most models anymore.

The other prices are about right, depending on condition. I used to buy RG550/570s cheap to part out years ago and you could get around $500 for the parts back then. Don't know what the market it like now though...

• Members

If the fret wear is a problem I would pass. I have a '91 RG760 that I love, but if had to replace it I could get a new guitar that would cost about the same as it would cost you to get the frets and other things fixed on that guitar, the way you described it.

Thats exactly what i was thinking, when i posted the results. In my opinion, there is no way you could level the frets. There was no buzz, but the action was way high for a guitar of this caliber. I was afraid if i tried to lower the action, id run into incurable fret buzz.

And my comment about CC was directed to the fact this guitar LOOKED as rough as he did---had nothing to do with what he plays on a regular basis.

I just couldn't see paying $200 for it, adding in another $100 or so and having a banged up guitar that i have seen near mint ones go fo not much more. Im just sayin' is all.

Plus its not what i am in the market for, so even flipping it i think i'd be lucky to break even---same with parting it out.

It was in a local store, so i am less likely to get a deal on it than in a private sale--plus i have to pay tax.

• Members

Why is the bridge worth so much?

Ibanez RG550 RG560 and RG570 guitars are really good deals used. A 550 is just a JEM without all the inlay and extras. A 570 is just a rear loaded 550. What I mean by that is there is no pickguard and all the access to the switch and volume and tone pots are from the back of the guitar and not the front. I personally like rear loaded better. Here are mine. A RG550 and an RG560

ibanez.jpg

• Members

If it wasn't for the significant fret wear, I'd say hit it for 200.

If you really like the way it plays, haggle it down to 140 and get a fret level done on it, and it should be good to go (unless the frets have huge grooves worn into them). You ca pick up the parts to finish the rest for cheap and do the electronics yourself to save some cash.

I recently picked up an excellent condition 470 from 1992 for 140 bucks. MIJ, Edge trem and original Wizard neck to boot. There are still good deals out there on the good MIJ stuff, just takes a bit of patience.

And the Edge trem is the best Floyd style trem ever IMO.

• Members

Check out the 'Swallow This Live' concert video if you can find it. He plays an Ibanez through the entire show (a blue RG570, if I remember correctly).

That doesn't surprise me, but the majority of his MTV exposure had him with something like this:

1212961123195_f.jpg

• Members

That doesn't surprise me, but the majority of his MTV exposure had him with something like this:

1212961123195_f.jpg

Oh I remember, I just don't remember there being any more BC Riches than any other brand that was popular back then. I just remember that live concert stood out that he only played one guitar considering he played about 50 different guitars in every video they made back then.

• Members

MTV was jammed paked with B.C. Rich guys around 1988 or so. Then it changed over to ESPs around 1990 or so.. Not saying that's what was used at the concerts, but that's what the videos had in em. One of my favorite MTV memories is this yellow/orange Jackson in the Bang Tango video..

This one:

[YOUTUBE]5u0yiplamdw[/YOUTUBE]

Probably my first GAS, right there...

Archived