Buying a new Les Paul Studio...

ShiftChange564

• Members

The faded model can be had for $749 at the local shop. Is this a good deal? I play mostly classic rock and some newer alternative. I currently have a PRS SE Tremonti. It's been good to me, but I think it's time to step up to "pro-level" axe. Just let me know what guys think. Should I be considering other guitars within this price range.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Have you played the studio? How does it compare to your SE?

EG

Yes I have, it seems like the Studio has MUCH better sustain than the SE. Although the Studio is heavier just feels more solid than the SE when I play it. The neck pup on clean is warmer and doesn't sound as thin. Plus the bridge seems to roar quite a bit more.

• Members

I have at least learned enough around here to try to compare guitars on their own merits and not by the brand name.

I say if you like it and that's what you're after, do it. The price isn't great but not horrible either. I'd try to get it down a bit more.

What all is included? Case? What kind of shape is it in?

EG

• Members

Only includes a worthless "gig bag" and the condition is new. They said if I don't like the one on the floor they can get me a new one in box, set it up, check it out and then decide. The local shop is very reputable, I trust the guitar folks there. Wonder if I could get them to throw in a set of strap locks (installed) and backup set of strings. Do you think it would be a good price then?

Thanks for your help.

• Members

Sorry, I thought you were looking at a used one. That's a pretty good deal then. I think MF's every day price on those is like $799 or so. I he'll throw in those other goodies it ain't bad at all.

Are the frets nice? Some of the studios have rough fret ends, others are good.

EG

• Members

Not sure on the frets I'll definitely check that out before I pull the trigger on this one. Yeah doesn't hurt to ask about adding the goodies in the deal, I've learned that worst case all they can say is no... Maybe if I buy a hardshell as well.

Thanks for the advice.

• Members

The faded model can be had for $749 at the local shop. Is this a good deal? I play mostly classic rock and some newer alternative. I currently have a PRS SE Tremonti. It's been good to me, but I think it's time to step up to "pro-level" axe. Just let me know what guys think. Should I be considering other guitars within this price range.

Thanks in advance.

do it!!! They retail for 799.00. You might be able to get a better deal online but if you prefer buying from a local shop that's not a bad deal. If you check the "deals" thread you can probably find a 15% coupon which would mean you can get one for roughly 680.00 delivered if you're ok with buying it online. I bought mine from Sweetwater and had no problems.

And the studio fadeds are awesome. I recently bought one myself and can't say enough good things about it. It immediately became my #1 gigging guitar.

The studio fadeds are the same as the older Studio Vintage Mahogany, just reissued and now sold with gig bag instead of hardshell case. Cheap bastards at gibson!!!! Still a great deal though. Do it!!! :thu:

• Members

Yes I have, it seems like the Studio has MUCH better sustain than the SE. Although the Studio is heavier just feels more solid than the SE when I play it. The neck pup on clean is warmer and doesn't sound as thin. Plus the bridge seems to roar quite a bit more.

Now I have several Les Pauls, and one is a LP Vintage Mahogany which is very light. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same or not as the Studio Faded, but it does not have a very long sustain at all compared to my other LPs, or other guitars I own including SEs. My VM does not have the hard maple top which is part of the reason, and the other issue is that it is heavily chambered so it absorbs the string energy faster than the stereotypcial "heavy as a log" Les Paul of yesteryear.

That being said, my LPVM is a great sounding guitar, just looks a little fugly. ;)

Does the model you're looking at have the BB Pro humbuckers or the 490/498?

• Members

Those faded Lesters are decent guitars,they wont sound like a Les Paul standard though,they have a nice middy tone,nice and warm and a crispy bridge,if you love lots of distortion,they rock pretty damn good,if you are looking for that thickish 3d sound from both pickups its not there but sounds Gibsonish! all in all go for it!!

• Members

Does the model you're looking at have the BB Pro humbuckers or the 490/498?

All the Faded models they have use the BB pros.

Is there a big difference?

The non-faded models use the 490/498, have a nicer finish along with a maple top, and a hardshell case. Is it worth the extra $400-$500? I did not play those ones when I was in the store.

• Members

Have you considered getting a used Studio? Not the Faded/VM, whichever terminology they're using right now, but the finished ones. Those can be had for as low as $600 on the used market, and are an infinitely better guitars in my experience.

Archived