The White House Loves Music

Billster

• Members

Click here

Presidents have long used the White House as a platform to showcase the best of music and the arts: Chester Arthur staged the first formal East Room concert in the late 1800s.

But the Obamas are demonstrating a commitment to use the White House to promote the arts in a huge way. And they

• Members

Nice to see someone remembers Charlie Pride.

For a guy who had 36 [thirty-six, not a typo] number one country hits and was the best-selling RCA artist since Elvis Presley, Pride seems to be even more forgotten than many other older country stars. (It was, in fact a dispute with RCA over diminishing promo for older country artists -- even those like Pride who were still pulling number one records -- that pushed him out RCA's door in 1986, according to the Wikipedia article on him.)

Of course, the Nashville establishment of the last few decades is well known for disrespecting, disregarding, and discarding the very people who made them rich. For such a culturally, artistically, and socially moribund milieu, they sure are obsessed with getting the next generation in and milking them for whatever they can get. But in recent years it's meant a veritable revolving door as one auto-tuned, pretty boy hat-dude or bleached-wavelet bimbo after another grabs a handful of hits and disappears.

• Members

Of course, the Nashville establishment of the last few decades is well known for disrespecting, disregarding, and discarding the very people who made them rich. For such a culturally, artistically, and socially moribund milieu, they sure are obsessed with getting the next generation in and milking
them
for whatever they can get. But in recent years it's meant a veritable revolving door as one auto-tuned, pretty boy hat-dude or bleached-wavelet bimbo after another grabs a handful of hits and disappears.

That says it all, eloquently. How anyone can call the garbage that issues from that hole "country music" is beyond me.

• Members

number one country hits
and was the best-selling RCA artist since Elvis Presley, Pride seems to be even
more
forgotten than many other older country stars.

Charlie Pride's performance, and what happened afterwards, was poignant.

The concert in the East Room was MC'ed by Eddie Stubbs who made the point that as a young artist, Charlie Pride was not allowed in the audience of the clubs in which he used to sing. He would not have been allowed to attend his own concerts, because he was black.

Musicians performing in the East Room perform on a stage in the front. In front of the stage are rows of round tables, with the Obamas sitting in the middle of the first row.

So, after Charlie Pride sang, he left the stage and circled back into the East Room, sat at one the tables, and enjoyed the rest of the show as part of the audience.

• Members

The Clintons hosted tons of shows under the radar at The White House. U2 and others would play shows to small crowds often. The shows gave some friends a bunch of work doing sound and lights.

Good work !

Very cool, looking great so far. Keep going, I wanna see it finished! :facepalm:

• Members

Woo hoo, lets hear it for the politicians. I hope they play good stuff in those secret torture prisons in Egypt, Poland and elsewhere to keep the inmates happy.

Makes me feel great to know the masters of war are hip with the cool sounds.

• Members

Nice to see
someone
remembers Charlie Pride.

Agreed.. He has made some really great music in the past. I actually saw him in a documentary recently called The Black List Volume 2 and he was really great. It was nice to hear him talk about the old days.

• Members

I'm in DC for a week ... I'll swing by the white house and see what they're playing ... heard a guy yesterday walking around singing "Thrller." Thought today I might swing by the FBI to see if any of you all are on a list of some sort, especially Booshy.

Oh I used to play in a band with Charlie Prides son, back when we all lived in Montana !!!

Russ

Nashville

• Members

That says it all, eloquently. How anyone can call the garbage that issues from that hole "country music" is beyond me.

I guess maybe you aren't old enough to remember back in the late 60s -early 70s when stuff that Charlie Pride, Johnny Cash, Jeannie C Riley, and so on was being slammed as being 'not real country' by the old guard Nashville establishment.

It's funny how other genres are expected to change and evolve or be regarded as stagnant and irrelevant, yet county is apparently supposed to remain in some dimensional warp that time forgot.

Archived