More bad news bears...

deluxe74

• Members

Finally got a new tremolo for my strat today with some christmas money and I was very excited to put it on and try it... Then I realized the $100 "Fender Tremolo System" I just bought had the "six screw" mounting style which does not work with my "two bigger screws" mounting style.

Is there a difference in the two styles? Is one better than the other?

Because the six screw mounting style ones typically are alot more expensive than the kind I have and I don't get it golly jeepers!

• Members

The US Fenders use a two-screw trem system, and the MIMs use the six-screw (i.e. vintage) system.

Really? What about the US-made American Vintage, Time Machine, Highway ! and dozen or so artist models that come with the 6-screw vintage trem?

For the OP. The two-screw systems are more modern. It's Fender's proprietary piece that just happens to fit the same studs and offer the same performance as a Wilkinson trem. Generally, they offer better return to pitch. The trem plate edge is knife thin and balances and pivots against the screws (never turn the screws to change the trem height while under tension, it's dull the knife edge).

The 6-screw is Fender's original design. Some feel it offers fuller tone by transferring vibration to/from the body better. But the bull edges of the screw holes the the friction of 6 screws often mean it doesn't pivot as well, so it's not considered as stable.

There are a few compromises out there. Some featuring a 6-screw knife edge design...by PRS/MannMade and Wilkinson. The other is to raise the four screws of a 6-screw design to make the trem pivot on only the outer two screws.

Unfortunately for you, Fender's 2 stud and 6-screw trems are no drop-in replacements for each other. Personally, if I had the modern Fender 2-stud trem and wanted a replacement, I would go with a Wilkinson.

• Members

Really? What about the US-made American Vintage, Time Machine, Highway ! and dozen or so artist models that come with the 6-screw vintage trem?

I meant in general. *sigh* there are always exceptions to every rule, and always someone who will :blah::blah::blah:

• Members

I meant in general. *sigh* there are always exceptions to every rule, and always someone who will
:blah:

The Am Std and Am Dlx use the two point, most of the rest use the vintage. Two series don't really define the whole line to me. Though I most admit, I avoid both those series like the plague (don't like their modern features and neck and i don't like their generic modern tone) so they rarely occur to me.

Archived