Clear Satin finish or tung oiled finish neck?

mrejk

• Members

dunno but i used tru-oil and that was not as smooth as i hoped

but, ive found whatever u use, if u dont mind the appearance of your guitar, just sand down the back of the neck, regardless of what coat u put on it, with really fine (eg. 1500 sandpaper) to make your hand glide up and down beautifully.

if you decide to sell your guitar in the future you can always use something like car scratch remover cream or whatever, to get a 'shine' back

• Members

For a long time, I wondered why it made any difference. The only part of my hand that ever touches the back of the neck is the edge of my thumb, and then only briefly. I remain convinced that if your palm ever touches the back of the neck except maybe when you're picking the guitar up off the stand, you're doing it wrong.

A satin finish protects the neck against oil and dirt from your hand, but if you want it to feel bare and smooth and look grody after a couple of years, tung oil is probably the way to go.

• Members

Does tung oil tint unfinished maple? Not something I want btw.

The Tung oil itself does add a very slight yellow tint and I think they are more prone to natural tint/aging as well. The neck I tung oiled a few years ago looks well on its way to that orangy vintage yellow. With the carvin neck I have on there you can definately see how the different maples have taken on the tint. The hardrock maple has tinted more than the birdseye fingerboard.

mempguit_1.jpg

The feel is awesome so that's why I will stick with it.

You might want to check out something like Tru oil if you are really opposed to tint.

• Members

For a long time, I wondered why it made any difference. The only part of my hand that ever touches the back of the neck is the edge of my thumb, and then only briefly. I remain convinced that if your palm ever touches the back of the neck except maybe when you're picking the guitar up off the stand, you're doing it wrong.

A satin finish protects the neck against oil and dirt from your hand, but if you want it to feel bare and smooth and look grody after a couple of years, tung oil is probably the way to go.

This is my DC127 the day it came, which was 5/9/8:

neckjoint.jpg

It still looks exactly the same ALMOST 2 years later. And no, I don't think I've ever cleaned it. It simply doesn't need it.

Furthermore, a lot of people thumb the top strings, ala Hendrix.. Try doing that without your palm touching. Not possible.

Archived