Gibson Les Paul Custom - Restore or throw in trash?

BG76

• Members

I was lucky I saved the parts is all. I put real PAFs and a Bigsby on the 72, but I saved the rest of the parts.

I think this one is a late 69 due to the fact that the neck is maple but there is no volute. If memory serves me correctly (not an expert so I may be wrong) they started the volute in 1970 and the early 69s had mahogany necks.

The cool thing on this one is the neck fits in the pocket nice and tight and amazingly there are no breaks in the headstock or cracks in the neck.

I may refret it just because I could re-bind the neck and it would be done, but that wouldn't cost anything as I have the fretwire. I just would have to buy the new binding but that's cheap.

does it have the serial number, or is that long gone? on Custom's, the volute and 3-piece maple neck started together in mid-1969 along with the 'made in USA' stamp. did the previous owner shave the volute off?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

no serial and no volute.

I know the volute was much smaller when it started but this one doesn't have it. If it had been there it would be easy to see the marks - which if you saw the condition here you would understand. One person I spoke to said the first few maple necks didn't have them (and this person runs a reputable store who deals in old stuff) but who knows. I guess I never will:)

• Members
if it's a maple neck and it's legit, then you're dealing with mid-'69 at the earliest, IMO. pretty sweet for less than $400. have fun with it.

From the LP Forum:

I have seen a bunch of 1969 non volute 3 piece necks...

DSCN1697.jpg

Archived