Gibson Les Paul Custom - Restore or throw in trash?

BG76

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I think that could be a pretty damn neat project. Fix what 'needs' fixin, then finish it in a super thin transparent black. As in definitely thin enough that you could still see the relic-ing through the finish, but enough black to minimize it... If that makes sense.

Make sure the fretboard is dark, maybe black hardware, maybe chrome...

I think it would be pretty frickin' awesome. :thu:

• Members

yeah got it today.

The more I look at it the easier a job I think it's going to be. The binding came right off, a lot of it was missing so it wasn't worth saving. I cleaned up the channels so new binding will go in easily. The tenon is fine, the neck is a tiny bit off, so I'm straightening it a little right now - truss rod works fine but I backed it off for now.

All I have to do is decide on hardware and paint. The rest of the work is really easy, just tedious as making the binding (I have a little jog I made for laminating binding) and putting it on is something I hate to do.

Half of me wants to just glue it together and paint it, but I'll probably re-bind it and do it black.

• Members

you paid $361.56 plus shipping for it. put some cash into it and you'll be fine. black would be common but nice.

The main reason I got it is that I do have a set of wafflebacks (but they're nickel) and I have a set of pickups out of a 72 that I owned - again, also chrome, and a stopbar (chrome) so all I have to buy is a TOM.

If I decide to go gold it will cost more because I'll have to buy everything. Right now I could do this for about $150.00 after buying paint (I don't have the black and will need to mix it which will be a pain).

So to me, an old LP with some repairs for $500.00 is cooler then an Agile or Epi.

I may just glue it together and paint it with leftover paint. I'll have to decide.

I figure the binding, wiring,

• Members

The main reason I got it is that I do have a set of wafflebacks (but they're nickel) and I have a set of pickups out of a 72 that I owned - again, also chrome, and a stopbar (chrome) so all I have to buy is a TOM.

If I decide to go gold it will cost more because I'll have to buy everything. Right now I could do this for about $150.00 after buying paint (I don't have the black and will need to mix it which will be a pain).

So to me, an old LP with some repairs for $500.00 is cooler then an Agile or Epi.

I may just glue it together and paint it with leftover paint. I'll have to decide.

I figure the binding, wiring,

i agree; a LP Custom for $500 beats just about any guitar more than double that price any day of the week.

• Members

i agree; a LP Custom for $500 beats just about any guitar more than double that price any day of the week.

I was lucky I saved the parts is all. I put real PAFs and a Bigsby on the 72, but I saved the rest of the parts.

I think this one is a late 69 due to the fact that the neck is maple but there is no volute. If memory serves me correctly (not an expert so I may be wrong) they started the volute in 1970 and the early 69s had mahogany necks.

The cool thing on this one is the neck fits in the pocket nice and tight and amazingly there are no breaks in the headstock or cracks in the neck.

I may refret it just because I could re-bind the neck and it would be done, but that wouldn't cost anything as I have the fretwire. I just would have to buy the new binding but that's cheap.

Archived