Should they take it on the road??

Richard King

• Members

Whenever I see two people on a single piano keyboard I say a little prayer.

And I pray that they're NOT playing the played-out sub-amateur piano anthem "Heart and Soul."

So it was a relief to know that only were my prayers answered, I was entertained as well! :)

Though not to take away anything from their talents, these people come from a generation where musical literacy was more mainstream, and the average person can do a more-tan-decent job of playing a piano piece or more. If I'm not mistaken, before recorded music media, the top hit tunes were the songs that sold the most sheet music...so in order to hear the music you actually had to know how to play it.

In contrast to today, where mediocre musicians are, in terms of the general populace, virtuosos by default, and I actually overheard someone (when being handed musical instruments for people to play) say, "Oh no, I have a fear of musical instruments..." (I wanted to smack that person right on the spot).

• Members

Though not to take away anything from their talents, these people come from a generation where musical literacy was more mainstream, and the average person can do a more-tan-decent job of playing a piano piece or more. If I'm not mistaken, before recorded music media, the top hit tunes were the songs that sold the most sheet music...so in order to hear the music you actually had to know how to
play
it.

This has nothing to do with the video but your post reminds me of when I was 12, stopping in at this tiny hole in the wall a few blocks from my house that sold only sheet music. The place closed down years ago but it was great fun going in there and reading the music and hearing it in my head (or at least trying).

My neighbor at the time was in his late 70s and we would watch the games together many a night and he would talk to me about music because he always heard me practicing. He mentioned how exciting it was back in the day when an artist would release a record with two songs on it, one on the A side and one on the B side and if the song was really great, he or someone in his family would get the sheet music at the local music shop and someone in the family would learn it. Then the family would gather round the piano and sing together.

It sounds like a movie but it really happened.

Archived